Advice for an High School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xathanx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the past 5 years ive been working at a Medical Facility. I have grown in love with the field. My question is Right now Im applying to college, but my grades are not that good, 2.7ish to be exact. I had some family problems but this year I have 3.7 and was hoping to transfer to a better college one day. My problem is right now I have 30 credits from high school that will count towards my major which is either going to be liberal arts, nursing, or science related. I can skip one year of college, but since medical school requires biology, chemistry, organic chem, physics. Which means atleast one year my studies is going to overlap. Would this be a good idea? I feel that i still need some refinement through college. English is my second language. I was considering going to community college and then transfering but i heard their classes are scorn upon by medical schools? Or I can go to a City school and then transfer as a Junior, is it hard to convince the schools to let you take to science courses? Thank you any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

English Composition
and/or Literature 6 Semester Hours
Chemistry 13 Semester Hours
BioChemistry
(in addition to 13 hrs. of Chemistry) 3 Semester Hours
Physics 8 Semester Hours
Biological Sciences 12 Semester Hours
Genetics
(in addition to 12 hrs. of biological sciences) 3 Semester Hours

Optional

Applicants are strongly advised to provide evidence of a solid foundation and to demonstrate proficiency in the biological and physical sciences, including anatomy, bacteriology and mathematics. Further, applicants are encouraged to have taken courses in sociology, philosophy, psychology and medical terminology.

These are the requirements of the medical school i am seeking or will be seeking one day

try taking several English classes :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
xathanx said:
For the past 5 years ive been working at a Medical Facility. I have grown in love with the field. My question is Right now Im applying to college, but my grades are not that good, 2.7ish to be exact. I had some family problems but this year I have 3.7 and was hoping to transfer to a better college one day. My problem is right now I have 30 credits from high school that will count towards my major which is either going to be liberal arts, nursing, or science related. I can skip one year of college, but since medical school requires biology, chemistry, organic chem, physics. Which means atleast one year my studies is going to overlap. Would this be a good idea? I feel that i still need some refinement through college. English is my second language. I was considering going to community college and then transfering but i heard their classes are scorn upon by medical schools? Or I can go to a City school and then transfer as a Junior, is it hard to convince the schools to let you take to science courses? Thank you any help would be appreciated

I took bio and chem at the same time and althought it was difficult, it was definitely doable. There were actually many semesters where I took 3 or more science classes. Schools will definitely let you do this. I would say to always shoot for the best school that you can get into. Going to a state school and then transfering to a top school might be the best way for you since you save money and med schools will not frown upon state school science courses. Community college is not acceptable for premed courses, from what I hear. Not sure about city college...

go to college and take the pre med classes - if you want to go to medical school you kindof have no choice - and stop taking xanthax ...this is my only advice to you

neuropower said:
Community college is not acceptable for premed courses, from what I hear.

Only if you want to apply to Wake Forest.

Don't go to a community college, unless your finances are really in desperate straits. Any four-year state school should prepare you for the MCAT and for medical school. If you want, you can transfer to a more prestigious school, but it's certainly not necessary. The med school requirements you posted are pretty generic - almost every school wants that stuff (a year of gen chem, a year of organic, a year of physics, a year of English (half lit, half composition), and a year of bio).

fullefect1 said:
Only if you want to apply to Wake Forest.

where does it say that?

i took one of my premed courses at a community college and i got some love from wake.

that being said, i think that it may be looked down upon if you took all your premed courses at a community college. two or three done at a community college wouldn't hurt as long as you excelled in them, but that is just my opinion.

and one more thing, i am not too sure about skipping one year of college. take your time, get the most out of the college life. med schools want mature, intelligent people who know what they are going into and are sure of that decision. from my point of view do all four years, and enjoy those four years. work hard, but play hard as well. that is what college is all about.

salfrankador said:
and one more thing, i am not too sure about skipping one year of college. take your time, get the most out of the college life. med schools want mature, intelligent people who know what they are going into and are sure of that decision. from my point of view do all four years, and enjoy those four years. work hard, but play hard as well. that is what college is all about.

Good advice.

Don't worry about transferring unless you hate your school. You will lose out on the longitudinal community experience of college and have a more difficult time cultivating relationships with professors who will write recommendations for you. If you do well at your state school, you will save money and still have all your options for med school. :luck:

well Im not going to a state school, Im going to a city school. For the past 14 years noone at the school I am going to got into Medical school. Only the ones that transfer. So......

I was talking to my teacher today and he is an podiatrist. ANd he said that I should forget about premed. He said SAT grades and premed sucess correlate. And Since i only got 1020 and not 1350 I have no chance. Any body here got only 1000s and caught back up in collegE?

Also would majoring in nursing be a bad idea. do you know anyone that is M.D./R.N. or they just don't put R.N.?