Advice for an Undergraduate Pre-Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChelseaLene

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am going into my second year of college at Ohio State University and I was looking for advice on whether I could still be competitive for osteopathic medical schools. Here are some of my stats.

Major: Psychology & Spanish
Cumulative GPA: 3.5-3.6 Non-Science: 4.0 First semester: 3.5 Second Semester: N/A
Volunteering: About 100 hours, hoping to get to 200 by the beginning of the fall semester
Completed Pre-Requisites: (Transferred to OSU, originally attending Case Western, where there is not a plus/minus system)
B - Chem 1
B - Chem 2
A - Chem Laboratory
A - Biology Laboratory
B, possibly C in biology 1 (some extenuating circumstances behind this)
B - Calc 1
A - English Composition 1 & 2
A - Psychology 101
A - Sociology 101

Other Science Courses:
A - Bio 1 (both these courses are a different set of bio classes than the pre-med bio OSU requires)
A - Bio 2

Autumn 2020 semester I am taking:
Physics 1 (Pre-req)
Biology 2 (Pre-req)
Spanish 4
Psych Stats (Pre-req)

Pre-Reqs Left:
Physics 2
Organic Chemistry 1 & 2
Biochemistry
Anatomy/Physiology

I realize my science GPA is much lower than it should be, but I am just looking for advice if I should keep going or look at another pathway. My first year of college wasn't the best because I really struggled with my own mental health due to personal events involving my family. However, I am much healthier now than I was when I started college, and I hope I still have the chance to prove that I am able to do this. I am most likely going to take a gap year to get an MPH. I don't want to have to make a backup plan because this is my dream, however, I am looking for honest opinions on what I should do.

Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

This is just like me . I want to inspire more students to do better, and show them that they can achieve everything I did and more.

Work on getting A's in all your classes and doing well on the MCAT when the time come's to take it. It appears that you're still a Freshman so you have a lot of time (regardless your GPA is still decent). Keep putting in the time for EC's and school and you'll be fine