Advice for anesthesia Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoebo54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year D.O. who kinda wants to do anesthesia but had a subpar performance on the comlex (510) and usmle (218). I was wondering what I should do next?? Do I take step 2?? What can I do to improve my odds??

Members don't see this ad.

Step it up on step II if you can.

If you want a DO residency, you have to do audition rotations at most of the programs. It is rare to get a spot without a rotation.

Go ahead and apply to MD programs that have a reputation for being DO friendly and any other programs you are interested in. A 218 on the USMLE isn't the end of the world. Apply to plenty of programs. Maybe even do some MD audition rotations.

When I was applying I focused on one DO and one MD program, take advantage of the fact that we get 2 chances to match.

As far as applying broadly, how many programs are we roughly talking about?? 50, 100,200?

Members don't see this ad :)
50 realistic Allopathic programs. Take Step 2 early, so that your score is available on Sept 1st.

As far as applying broadly, how many programs are we roughly talking about?? 50, 100,200?

If you would be willing to go there, apply. Place the odds of matching in your favor by having plenty of chances.

After you starting getting invitations to interview is when the real decision making begins. Things like conflicting dates for interviews. Which interview to go to, one you are more likely to get into or one that you dream about getting into but super competitive?