Advice for Australian-trained anesthesiologist regarding board certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an Australian anesthesiologist that will soon complete my residency training in Australia and obtain my FANZCA (Fellowship of Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists) qualification. I’m then headed to the US to undertake an additional 12-month non-ACGME fellowship. I would be very keen to possibly continue to work in the US following this at attending level.

I would be very interested to hear more information about the process for overseas qualified anesthesiologists to become ‘board-certified’ by the ABA. I have read the information on the ABA website and it seems that I would need to apply via the ‘alternate entry path - clinical educator’. This seems to state that it would take four years whilst working in an appropriate department as faculty before I would be able to sit the board exams - is this correct?

Also, is board certification necessarily required in the US to work as an attending anesthesiologist in academic practice? My field of interest in pediatric cardiac anesthesia - would the large pediatric academic centres that offer this subspecialty typically require their attendings to be certified with the ABA?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

good luck with your move, have you done a paeds fellowship in Australia yet?

Some centers (eh hem, UCSF) routinely have Australian anesthesiologists on faculty. Not sure how, or what the details are, but you could poke around the website and see what shakes out.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Our shop has a few. DM me and I can make an introduction.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the replies.

I am already in the midst of completing USMLE Steps 1-3 as part of the requirement to obtain the state medical license and visa to undertake the fellowship position. It seems the option for becoming board-certified (outside of repeating residency again) is through the alternate pathway with the ABA - seems like still needs a number of years working as faculty prior to being able to start the board exams.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the replies.

I am already in the midst of completing USMLE Steps 1-3 as part of the requirement to obtain the state medical license and visa to undertake the fellowship position. It seems the option for becoming board-certified (outside of repeating residency again) is through the alternate pathway with the ABA - seems like still needs a number of years working as faculty prior to being able to start the board exams.

That options is usually very restrictive with uncertain future. I ended up repeating residency, atleast that way you can also apply for a fellowship of your choice later on. My 2 cents

Anyone know what about a canadian trained anesthetist thinking about moving to the States? Canadian citizen FRCPC trained