Advice for aways for Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeLoveCandy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am an M3 who is preparing to apply into ophthalmology. I’ve never posted on here, but I’m having some jitters about my strategy for aways (I had a set plan and now I am having second thoughts). A bit about my position:

Med School: Respected med school in Midwest
Step 1: 240 (panic attack during test, practice tests were trending in mid 260's...bummer)
Pre-clinical grades: 2nd quartile
Clerkships: 4/6 Honors thus far
Research: 2 ophtho manuscripts with my name on them (basic science), 1 second author manuscript (non-ophtho), 1 first author ophtho manuscript (clinical with big name guy)
LOR: one very positive letter from general surgery attending, one very positive letter from big name retina doc, third letter TBD but may be another big name retina doc
EC's: the usual, only thing that stands out (and is totally irrelevant but comes up a fair bit in conversations) is that I auditioned for Jeopardy! recently

I had originally planned to do 1 away out West at a program that I am legitimately very interested in and have a connection at. If I did this, it would be the only away I could do because of how it lines up with my school's schedule. The other option would be to do 2 aways at other regional programs that I am also interested in, but do not have connections at. Any advice on the away rotation situation? Also, any comments/advice on my standing in general based on my application content? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Programs don't usually give a lot of thought to students on aways. They might assign you to random clinics that will be of little help to your end goal, which is to make yourself known to, and to leave a good impression on, the people who are on the admissions committee.

Talk to the residents early on to find out whose clinics you should be in, and ask to be put in those clinics. Be nice to EVERYONE. Read a lot. Before you leave, ask the PD and/or chair to meet with you so you can ask for feedback and express your interest.

Sometimes during aways it can be difficult to be noticed. Would definitely agree with setting up meetings with the PD and chair while you are there.

If you already have a connection at the place out west, doing an away there may be in your benefit because geography is not. Especially given that you will likely receive interviews at the regional programs because of geographical bias.

Additionally, you could try to reach out to either of the regional programs and explain them your scheduling constraints. They may be willing to let you do an abbreviated rotation.