Advice for Bio Section of the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaulKu34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...

I'd just like some of your opinions/advice you guys have on studying for the Biology section of the DAT. as i saw from teh previous posts, many people have said taht although for gchem and ochem the kaplan materials are pretty good, the kaplan study materials for the bio section is not that great. do you guys think it is enough for the bio section just to study the Schaumms Outlines for Biology? I am not sure about this so please any advices would be appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

PaulKu34 said:
Hey all...

I'd just like some of your opinions/advice you guys have on studying for the Biology section of the DAT. as i saw from teh previous posts, many people have said taht although for gchem and ochem the kaplan materials are pretty good, the kaplan study materials for the bio section is not that great. do you guys think it is enough for the bio section just to study the Schaumms Outlines for Biology? I am not sure about this so please any advices would be appreciated. thanks.

i know a few people here recommend Schaumms for biology in addition to the Kaplan book. :)

tinman831 said:
i know a few people here recommend Schaumms for biology in addition to the Kaplan book. :)

I have both, and the Schaumms is a very nice addition to the kaplan...THe kaplan book in my opinion is not sufficient studying material for the bio

Members don't see this ad :)
personally i found kaplan to be sufficient for the bio section i had on my dat. there were a few things i didn't come across in kaplan which were on my test, but everyone knows that bio has too many details to possibly know everything. if u have a pretty good recollection of general bio (and maybe some more advanced bio classes under your belt), just focus on the stuff u dont know well. for example, i couldnt remember anything about photosynthesis so i read a lot on that.

tinman831 said:

Definatley Shaums outlines it helped me get a 20 on bio the second time around on that section. up 3 points.

HD

PaulKu34 said:
Hey all...

I studied Kaplan Blue book and AP Biology Cliffs Notes. I got a 21 in the biology. I definately think you need to study more than Kaplan if you want to get higher than a 20 on the biology section.

I used Kaplan and if there was anything that was unclear I used my old texts. Granted, my degree is in Integrative Biology so I have covered a ton of material in classes. I pulled out with a 20/20/23 (bio/chem/ochem).

I would say that Kaplan is sufficient.

-C

if you know EVERYTHING from the blue kaplan book, I think u should be fine. But try to go back to your textbook (campbell's a good one) when you are doing practice problems and try to understand all the concepts that questions focus on (especially respiration, physiology, etc). that should be sufficient if you don't have too much time. I feel like schuam's only helps if you have a lot of time to review.