Advice for chances of admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steph785

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forums and am looking for some advice on my chances of admission, hopefully to any New York or New Jersey area school. I guess i'm a non-traditional student. I graduated U of Delaware in 2007 with a BS in Business. My undergrad GPA is probably around a 3.1. I have to factor in 3 courses taken during the summer at other schools. I'm taking the pre-reqs now and my GPA for the Pre-Reqs should be just about a 4.0.

I just took the GRE's and thought I did very poorly. I scored a 151 and 152 respectively. I just saw a conversion chart and my scores convert to between an 1120 and an 1140 on the old scale so I'm guessing I didn't do as bad as I thought. I do have plenty of observation hours and will be able to get pretty good LORs. I'm more than willing to take the GRE's again and a prep course if anyone thinks I should. I did it this time without a formal prep course, used Kaplan book. If someone has a recommendation for a good course that improved their scores, pleae let me know.

So, chances???

Members don't see this ad.

You likely need to get your GRE up to at least a 1250 (equivalent) to be competitive. I had a 4.0 and a 1300 with a 5.0 writing and was put on a wait-list. I wrote a great admissions essay, which is what I think ultimately got me in. Doing the same will help you. With admissions, a higher GRE quant score will help more than a higher verbal score. Of course, more expensive programs are generally easier to get into, as well as those in undesirable locations at lower or non-ranked schools. I applied to a less expensive program which made it more competitive (500 applicants). Just get in somewhere. That's all that matters. You can do the time.