advice for choosing pre-vet college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainologydoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a UC grad and current med student and Im trying to help my sister decide this:

Would it be best to attend Cal state long beach all 4 years as a zoology (or biology) major, then try and get accepted to UC Davis veterinary school. OR, would you go to a good southern california community college, then transfer to Davis for the remaining two years in their animal science major? (I think they have an automatic transfer program) The first option is more simple, and closer to home. It may be easier to get good grades at community college then transfer, but UC students are pretty competative once your transfered so you may end up with better grades at CSULB. CSULB is a good school with pretty good science classes in my opinion. But going to Davis for two years may allow you to get to know faculty in the vet program or even get some volunteering there, etc. if its anything like med school its really your grades and your MCAT scores that matter over EVERYTHING else. If I had to choose I think it sounds like community then Davis is the best option ... thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately for vet school it's GPA that matters the most with most places (though that seems to be changing). Also there's several GPAs to consider (science, cumulative, last 45, pre-requisite). A good GRE can help bail out a bad GPA (and vice versa) but high GPAs shine brighter than high GREs it seems. However, it is most definitely possible to get in with less than a stellar GPA. You'd just have an easier time with higher.

As far as where she goes, it doesn't really matter, assuming that she does transfer to the 4 year school. The catch to that is that some schools won't accept upper level courses from a community college (things like genetics, biochem, microbio, ochem, etc), so, IMO, it's best just to do the 4 year school if it's an option, just to cover your bases.

That said, you could just call the school and check to see if any of the CC courses conflict with what they accept.

With the whole CA budget mess, I wouldn't bank on transferring. I know my sister's Cal State school is completely closed to all transfers. I would just go to the 4-year school right from the start so that she doesn't have to worry about transferring, making new friends, or having a second adjustment period. And while Davis may have some good volunteering positions (not that I know from first-hand experience, but I think your assumption is correct), there will be so many pre-vet kids going after them, while she can make a niche for herself in Long Beach and volunteer in private practices.

Also, while GPA is hugely important, I think equally so are well-rounded vet experiences. So tell her to try to find a vet or two to shadow during school, or even better, to start this summer :)

Members don't see this ad :)
And while Davis may have some good volunteering positions (not that I know from first-hand experience, but I think your assumption is correct), there will be so many pre-vet kids going after them, while she can make a niche for herself in Long Beach and volunteer in private practices.

This is an excellent point! I am getting my second bachelor's at a university with a vet school. While I do appreciate the opportunity to get to know faculty (though, not as well as I would like) and how the school is in general, it is very hard to find good animal/veterinary opportunities because EVERYONE ELSE (practically) wants them all, too.