Advice for CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riamo11

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a little over a month away from CK (Scheduled for Aug 20), I am doing UW mainly and scoring between 50%-65% on my blocks, still have over half the qbank left to complete. My Step 1 was in the 220s, and I was content because my NBMEs were pretty low, and by the time I took Step 1 I was just burnt out. I seem to be running into the same issue this time around especially with COVID19, not being able to go to a library to study, etc. I don't want to delay because I'm applying this cycle for IM vs FM and want to get my score back in enough time to submit ERAS early, also I'm still in the midst of finishing cores and beginning electives, so don't want to mess with that schedule unless I absolutely need to. Ideally, what score should I aim for and am I in an ok place having a little over 4 weeks left? Also, what were your experiences with CK dedicated, how much time do people spend studying for CK?

Appreciate all the feedback and help!

Members don't see this ad.

If you scored in the 220s while burnt out, i would reasonably expect your CK to be 225-235. 10 point rise is usually standard. I personally don't put much stock in UW percentage, because mine for Step 1 did not correlated with my Step 1 score.

I had about 1 month of dedicated for CK, mostly due to displaced rotations and COVID. Its a test you study for all of 3rd year, in essence. I was much more burnt out for Step 2 than I was for Step 1.

All that being said, burn out is real and delaying the test will not fix burn out -- it will probably make it worse. I would take CK asap unless you do not feel like you are able to get through all the resources you have chosen. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
If you scored in the 220s while burnt out, i would reasonably expect your CK to be 225-235. 10 point rise is usually standard. I personally don't put much stock in UW percentage, because mine for Step 1 did not correlated with my Step 1 score.

I had about 1 month of dedicated for CK, mostly due to displaced rotations and COVID. Its a test you study for all of 3rd year, in essence. I was much more burnt out for Step 2 than I was for Step 1.

All that being said, burn out is real and delaying the test will not fix burn out -- it will probably make it worse. I would take CK asap unless you do not feel like you are able to get through all the resources you have chosen. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you! That helps. I guess I just need to trust the process and power through until my exam. With four weeks left do you recommend I take any of the NBMEs or stick to UWSA1/2?

Thank you! That helps. I guess I just need to trust the process and power through until my exam. With four weeks left do you recommend I take any of the NBMEs or stick to UWSA1/2?
i probably can’t speak to that. I only used UWSA2, no other NBMEs. I was focused on Anki, Qbanks where I could get answer feedback, and OME. Also, taking that many tests would have burned me out, so I chose not to.

Members don't see this ad :)
i probably can’t speak to that. I only used UWSA2, no other NBMEs. I was focused on Anki, Qbanks where I could get answer feedback, and OME. Also, taking that many tests would have burned me out, so I chose not to.

I see a lot of people not using the NBMEs. Why is that? I am using UW mostly on tutor mode so I feel like I need the NBMEs to test my time management -- was that a concern for you? I have several weeks before I sit for my exam too, but even at this stage I worry about time management being an issue.

I see a lot of people not using the NBMEs. Why is that? I am using UW mostly on tutor mode so I feel like I need the NBMEs to test my time management -- was that a concern for you? I have several weeks before I sit for my exam too, but even at this stage I worry about time management being an issue.

I've done 2 of the NBME's and the reason people bail on them is probably because they seem super outdated IMO. I don't think your timing is going to get any better by doing the NBME's, the questions are too easy. You either know it or you don't and I finished all blocks with like 20 min left. The UWSA 1 I took the other day was very different. I still finished on time but only by like 1-2 minutes.

Reactions: 1 user