Advice for D-1 student on Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glad Rags22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to finish up my first year of dental school within the next 2 months. I am having a great time in school, as much as I possibly can, and excited for a little break. At the same time, I know that down the road I would like to have the opportunity to specialize once my 4th year comes around, if that is what I feel like I would enjoy doing. I do not have any particular specialty I know for certain I want to go into but Perio, Ortho, and OMFS are probably the ones, at this point, I am most interested. I am only a D-1 and at this point have no idea what I will want to do so I am just using those cause right now those are it.

What I am asking from you guys/girls is advice for getting into residencies, mainly what to start doing at this point in my schooling. I have summer break coming up and don't really have anything to do but don't really know anything beneficial I can do at this point. Any advice people can give on externships, volunteer opportunities, research or extracurriculars that will both benefit my knowledge of the specialities and boost my chances of getting into residency down the road. Possibly something I could do this summer, getting started doing this summer, trips over christmas breaks, and 2nd year summer break opportunities.

Also I understand grades are very important so I am not including that because that is up to the individual student. Mainly looking for activities outside the class that help your chances.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Research and shadowing/assisting in clinic would probably be the best use of your time. Ortho and OMFS are pretty much on the opposite ends of the spectrum, so it shouldn't be too hard to decide between the two. I don't know much about Peds.

First, shadow to decide what you want to do. Then you can direct your efforts, research and otherwise, toward that specialty so that you have the best chance of getting.

Ortho, Perio, and OMS are totally different specialties that suit totally different people. Figure that out.