Advice for ECs/clinical experience for a 17-year old junior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kuyuka

Reaction score
Basically the title; I'm going into my junior year and currently have zero clinical experience or research. I don't know what to do because most places to get clinical experience require me to be at least 18 and most volunteering opportunities have shut down due to COVID. I am planning to take a gap year, but is it likely that I'll have to take more than one? And are there any EC opportunities that I can get involved given the circumstances?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically the title; I'm going into my junior year and currently have zero clinical experience or research. I don't know what to do because most places to get clinical experience require me to be at least 18 and most volunteering opportunities have shut down due to COVID. I am planning to take a gap year, but is it likely that I'll have to take more than one? And are there any EC opportunities that I can get involved given the circumstances?
I don't know about clinical experience right now beyond virtual shadowing for someone under 18. You could do some nonclinical volunteering though. Many food banks accept volunteers under 18 to help hand out meals to their clients. This is a very good nonclinical experience as you get to interact with people who are facing immediate needs. Food banks also need this help right now due to the pandemic. Good luck with your search for extracurriculars!

Reactions: 1 users
You can also volunteer at a hospice, visit the vets at a VA center, homeless shelters etc. Then in your gap year you can focus on clinical experiences and shadowing. There is always a need for nonclinical volunteering.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in high school?

Reactions: 1 user
Because you are so young, take your time and build a great application. I doubt that ADCOMS will cut you any slack for not having the expected ECs. You have lots of time. If you need 2-3 years so be it. It will be very important that’s your application be complete and displays a level of maturity expected of medical students.

Reactions: 2 users
Turn 18, get certified in something clinical get a job, work for at least two years. Work your network on the job to get some shadowing experience, spend some of your free time as a volunteer helping people in a homeless shelter, food pantry, mentoring program for inner city kids, or something similar with people who are in very different circumstances than your own. Even taking 2 gap years and applying after two years out of college will make you one of the youngest applicants in that year's pool. You need this time to grow emotionally and to strengthen your application. Ideally, applying should be something, like marriage, that you do right and do once. Don't rush; being a reapplicant at 21 is not a good look.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Some nursing homes might be open to letting you be part of the activities program. Many of them are also relying on volunteers to screen visitors at the door because they don't have paid staff to spare. This may not be "clinical" work, but if you're close to 18, it would be a good way to get a feel for the place so that once you turn 18 you might be able to complete a CNA program through them and transition into paid clinical experience. Places are desperate to find CNAs right now; if they like you they would likely pay for the certification.