Advice for first year who wants to get into some clubs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocs223

AUCVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am a soon to be first year at AUCVM, and new to the forum. I was wondering if there was anything you would recommend i do my first semester. I already heard meet people and understand that my grades will be different, I was looking at what groups to join, which groups to wait till later. I don't want to overstretch myself the first semester, but I do want to get involved. Help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

Besides your SCAVMA chapter, I'd say just join maybe a couple more that interest you (and your future career goals). I signed up for a bunch of email lists, but really I don't have the time for all those clubs and I just make time for the one or two that I am really interested in. So I guess my advice is: don't overdo it.

Welcome!
Did you make it to Open House last weekend? Most (many) of the clubs had a booth with some info etc.

SCAVMA is pretty much a vast waste of time/money (my opinion - others adore it, especially on SDN) -- but many of the clubs are great. Pick a few that interest you and go from there.

Enjoy the ride!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did make it to the open house last weekend, but I spent the vast majority of my time working the prevet table, so I didn't make it around to the outher tables as much as I would have liked. Why is it you say the SCAVMA chapter is a waste of time and money? I would be interested in your opinion, the only exposure I got to it was the student orientation meeting they had saturday morning.

I'm probably bitter about SCAVMA because it's pretty much another version of vet school's "mandatory volunteerism".... they will sell it to you as if its some amazing ordeal, then in order to stay a member you have to participate in a set number of activities to get enought "points" to remain a member. That would be fine if there were enough events to give us ample opportunity to earn the 5 required points but there have been just enough activities to earn the points -- assuming you are available to attend every function... which typically conflict with other club meetings, exams, life, etc etc.

SCAVMA is beneficial just in the fact that you need to be a member to get cheap AVMA PLIT insurance, which was required for a couple externships that I did. Our SCAVMA has other benefits, too, so I would be a member either way.

SCAVMA is beneficial just in the fact that you need to be a member to get cheap AVMA PLIT insurance, which was required for a couple externships that I did. Our SCAVMA has other benefits, too, so I would be a member either way.

Agreed.

I don't know about AUCVM, but at UTCVM, being a scavma member gets you into the free lunches and dinners, makes wet labs cheaper or free, gets you the PLIT insurance cheap, and after being a member for 3 years, you get a free year of AVMA membership (provided you're in good standing) without needing reference checks, etc. And that means a way to get insurance while being a professional, which is important.

We don't have any mandatory meetings or points to rack up. We just pay our dues and you're a member, and if you want to attend the free lunches or other events, you go. They also raffle off small scholarship $ at most meetings. You have to be present to win. And yes, it's $100 usually, but, hey, it could happen to you.

I also do it for the AVMA GHLIT (Health Insurance) and later, for the PLIT and, later, for the perks towards joining the AVMA.

Hey, it's at least one organization out there that seeks to unify vet students. I know that sounds fluffy... ah well.

I am a student in AUCVM C/O 2011. SCAVMA is a club with a lot of resources (but you need to take the initiative to get involved). Vet school requires a lot of time for studies. Some people take advantage of SCAVMA for just the GHLIT and PLIT privileges. They then forget to participate in the organization. That is why there are point requirements. There are numerous opportunities for points. It is as easy as going to 2 of 4 meeting a semester plus an extra activity that takes less then an hour. AUCVM SCAVMA host numerous free dinners/meeting with speakers and, starting this year there will be wet labs, and community service.

I loathe SCAVMA at Va-Md because you are required to join it and pay dues in order to join any of the other clubs (which are the ones that do wetlabs and other fun things). The meetings go on for hours, and you are also required to "volunteer" for the dog wash fundraisers twice a year, and mandatory = NOT volunteer. And I can get cheaper insurance on-line so I get nothing.

I don't like being blackmailed.

So, aside from SCAVMA, what are some other helpful clubs to join at different schools?

You will probably get a listing of clubs at your school. Generally there are clubs for various specialties. So we have an emergency and critical care club, a feline club, a equine club, a livestock club, a shelter medicine club etc.

If you have an area of interest, there is probably a club for that (Critical Care, Shelter Med., Equine, Bovine, Feline, Exotics.) I would recommend VBMA = Business Club. I know this next year, there will be some management workshops and the meetings are informative. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree with fargeese, at least about ours. I refused to be a member for a long time until they threatened to kick me out of my Food Donation Coordinator position for all the local rescues and shelters unless I joined...since evidently you *can't* be an officer in any other club unless you are in SCAVMA first. The only thing they offer seems to be opportunities to network. The insurance plan stinks in terms of cost. Benefits may be good, but I can't afford it.

SCAVMA in general has a elitist air to it I do not like. But it likely depends on your chapter as well.

Auburn SCAVMA has no power over any other clubs. Each are their own identity.

About how much are yearly dues for clubs? I'm trying to plan my budget and an average cost for dues would be nice to add.

Most are around $15 a year. Some like SCAVMA are about $40 a year. The difference is usually do to if the club has to pay some sort of fee to a central national group or not.

Ha-ha. As a proud member of VMRCVM, I agree: SCAVMA is the mob in our school. I really hate that I HAVE to be a member since my insurance is through my husband anyway.

Clubs I would definitely join (as a SA-tracking, emergency-interested vet student): SCVECCS (emergency club, this year, I will be the president, last year I was just a member), companion animal club, animal welfare club.

I WISH I joined FAPC (food animal practitioners' club). I didn't as a small animal snob and missed out on a TON of opportunities. I would highly recommend joining this club even if you don't plan on practicing LA medicine. They have awesome wet labs, cow palpations, alpaca labs...

VBMA is a business club. Tons of useful information with focus on business aspect of vet med. Some better networking opportunities than SCAVMA offers (IMHO). I am a member. I don't think I would run for office though.

Alpha Psi is a drinking/party club: I didn't join last year, and I am not going to join this year. To me, it's a waste of time and money, but if you like to hang out with fellow vet students at parties/bars, you might want to join. I think, most people in my class are members.

OTS is a community service club. They do really great things like relay for life, and I might join this year. Although I always seem to be lacking time when it actually comes to servicing my community.:)

Oh, and pathology club! Which is just an awesome club and has no fees at VMRCVM.

In general, if you don't run for offices, you can join all of them. Heck, you're not required to attend ALL meetings (even if they make you feel like you are :laugh:). I am a bit more selective this year, but last year I joined almost all clubs (except FAPC (unfortunately) and Alpha Psi (fortunately)).

Thanks so much for that, VetMed555!

I plan on checking out the ones in red. Im also going check out how to start a new club because I was really hoping for an ACVIM or AVDC student chapters. :( Anyone familiar with how to start a new vetschool club?
  1. AABP: American Association of Bovine Practitioners
  2. AAEP: American Association of Equine Practitioners
  3. AAFP: American Association of Feline Practitioners
  4. AAHA: American Animal Hospital Association
  5. Alpha Psi Fraternity
  6. ASLAP: American Society of Laboratory Animal Practitioners
  7. AVSAB: The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
  8. Animal Welfare Club
  9. Association of Shelter Veterinarians
  10. Canine Club
  11. CVF: Christian Veterinary Fellowship
  12. One: Diversity Committee
  13. OTS: Omega Tau Sigma Veterinary Fraternity
  14. Pathology Club
  15. Public Health Veterinary Club
  16. SAGA: Student Association for Global Awareness
  17. SCAVMA: Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association
  18. SCAVMA Auxiliary: Spouses and Significant Others of Veterinary Students
  19. Shelter Medicine Club
  20. Small Ruminant Club
  21. SVECCS: Student Veterinary Emergency & Critical Care Society
  22. Society of Theriogenology
  23. UGA SCACVIM: Student Chapter of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
  24. Veterinary Business Management Association
  25. Zoological Medicine Club

I plan on checking out the ones in red. Im also going check out how to start a new club because I was really hoping for an ACVIM or AVDC student chapters. :( Anyone familiar with how to start a new vetschool club?
  1. AABP: American Association of Bovine Practitioners
  2. AAEP: American Association of Equine Practitioners
  3. AAFP: American Association of Feline Practitioners
  4. AAHA: American Animal Hospital Association
  5. Alpha Psi Fraternity
  6. ASLAP: American Society of Laboratory Animal Practitioners
  7. AVSAB: The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
  8. Animal Welfare Club
  9. Association of Shelter Veterinarians
  10. Canine Club
  11. CVF: Christian Veterinary Fellowship
  12. One: Diversity Committee
  13. OTS: Omega Tau Sigma Veterinary Fraternity
  14. Pathology Club
  15. Public Health Veterinary Club
  16. SAGA: Student Association for Global Awareness
  17. SCAVMA: Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association
  18. SCAVMA Auxiliary: Spouses and Significant Others of Veterinary Students
  19. Shelter Medicine Club
  20. Small Ruminant Club
  21. SVECCS: Student Veterinary Emergency & Critical Care Society
  22. Society of Theriogenology
  23. UGA SCACVIM: Student Chapter of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
  24. Veterinary Business Management Association
  25. Zoological Medicine Club

ACVIM just had a big push about a year ago to get student chapters at the vet schools. There may be one in the works, or it's pretty easy to start. I can try and get you the contact info. You'll just need to find an advisor and get some members.

ACVIM just had a big push about a year ago to get student chapters at the vet schools. There may be one in the works, or it's pretty easy to start. I can try and get you the contact info. You'll just need to find an advisor and get some members.

Oops! UGA has an SCACVIM. Im a big dodo. :smack: I meant to say ACVS(surgery).

Thanks so much for that, VetMed555!

You're very welcome, Pandacinny! Hope to see you next month. (Sorry for late response, I don't check this forum too often).