Advice for First-Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valkener

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm a first-year medical student and am planning on doing an Emergency Medicine residency. Unless something very surprising happens during rotations, which I admit easily could, I have found EM to be the best fit for myself so far because of internships and various other reasons (such as the block-style of work hours that seem consistent and predictable), but I don't want to get too much into this for now.

I'd be highly interested in hearing some advice about what I can do as a first-year to increase my chances of securing a fantastic residency. There must be some things that really stick out to EM program directors and committees other than great step 1 scores (and yes I realize much will depend on my board scores).

Thanks a ton :D.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Join your school's EMIG (emergency medicine interest group) aka Emergency Medicine Club or what have you

2) Get a student membership to ACEP/EMRA and set the stage to get involved in the later years of medical school

3) If you're really set on EM, you can start researching residencies early to get an idea where you would want to go and possibly rotate at during 3rd or 4th year (check EMRA for the complete list)

4) If you can, try and get involved in EM research, especially if your school has an affiliated EM program.

Those would be a good start.

Maybe put down the Master Chief and xbox and study for good grades!

All jokes aside, I agree with the above, but also be open to other fields through your clinical years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rock the boards. Rock your rotations. Be personable in your interview. This will allow you to get a great EM residency. This will allow you to do whatever you want.

The rest is bills--t. Don't be distracted. If you do well on your boards, and rotations you'll do well in residency. Not being an a--hole helps, too. Its that simple. There are no shortcuts.

I would strongly agree with this advice.

Work hard the first two years too, not just rotations. It's not so much about the grades (though that helps), more like there are a lot of things that I wish I knew better from the first two years that at the time seemed not so useful, now in residency I wish I had spent about twice the time on. Like microbiology, anatomy and pharmacology.

If you are thinking about EM I would go into every third year rotation like you are going to do that specialty (and don't mention wanting to do EM to them). If you tell them you are thinking emergency most people either try to talk you out of it, or just teach you what they think you will need to know for the ER. You will have years to learn emergency neurology, on your neuro rotation you need to learn about the other stuff. If you think "what do I need to know if I was going to be a pediatrician (or a neurosurgeon or a IM doc etc) you will be more interested, and you might discover some other field you love. And since we deal with all parts of medicine in the ER, there is little that will be taught to you on a rotation that doesn't apply somehow to the ER.

I would also think about taking ACLS if your school doesn't provide it, sure you will get it before residency. But it makes codes much more interesting if you understand what is happening. It makes them less stressful, and makes you more helpful since you know when they are going to need you to do compressions.

Agree with the above and want to definately encourage you to join EMRA. There are many opportunities to get involved and gain leadership experience.

I think it's also important to have some fun in the pre-clinical years. After third year begins, all your med school friends are on different rotations and you don't see them as much. If you have non-med school friends, their 9-5 schedule will not mesh with yours particularly well either. Sleep in, enjoy the weather, engage in fun hobbies and activities (use for CV if you need justification), and just enjoy life. Though fourth year has a few months of play time, once third year starts, it's pretty much work time for the rest of your life. All the stuff mentioned above is important, but will take a tiny fraction of the time available during your first two years. Study, do well, but enjoy life. Med school does not need to a constant stress grind in the library for four years. Maintain your individuality.

I think it's also important to have some fun in the pre-clinical years.
Agree. Another way to justify it is that you need to develop a healthy way to process your stress. You are going into a field that is going to hit you with lots of stress and you need to have a healthy outlet for it. Develop that habit now.