Advice for friend who is a depressed financial engineering premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember my engineering days and how life got 10x easier once I dropped my engineering major.

A close friend of mine is currently a freshman and is majoring in Operations Research at a top 10 school. She is not sure whether she wants to go into finance or become a physician. As a result, she's trying to take premed classes and major in Operations Research simultaneously. The school she attends has excellent ties with Wall Street.

It's been a month of classes and she's already depressed. She's not really overachieving either. As a freshman, she's taking Physics and Gen. Chem at the same time along with 4 other difficult classes. That is apparently pretty standard for OR.

I'm honestly clueless as to what advice I can give her. Any Engineers/anyone who's tried something similar have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

tell her to change her major. wall street cares as much about what you major in as medical schools

I remember my engineering days and how life got 10x easier once I dropped my engineering major.

A close friend of mine is currently a freshman and is majoring in Operations Research at a top 10 school. She is not sure whether she wants to go into finance or become a physician. As a result, she's trying to take premed classes and major in Operations Research simultaneously. The school she attends has excellent ties with Wall Street.

It's been a month of classes and she's already depressed. She's not really overachieving either. As a freshman, she's taking Physics and Gen. Chem at the same time along with 4 other difficult classes. That is apparently pretty standard for OR.

I'm honestly clueless as to what advice I can give her. Any Engineers/anyone who's tried something similar have any advice?

if she is dead set on wall street, tell her to forget the operations research major and just take a bunch of math classes and maybe some intro finance/accounting

they teach you everything you need to know during the training

the general rule is that the finance/accounting can be easily taught...but the analytical skills cannot so tell her if she's dead set on wall street to take a bunch of math classes

also, by the time your friend graduates, the markets will be fine. it's the '09 graduates who need to change their pants.

Tell her to drop a course or two to lessen the load. A freshman should not be taking 6 courses in his/her first semester. She should get acclimated with the school and the change of pace accompanied with the highschool to college transition before piling on the credits. Getting a W or two is a lot better than starting off college with a 3.0 G.P.A IMO.