Advice for future BME grad student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aunaturel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well i am pretty set in my way of someday being a biomedical engineer, the only problem is I'm not sure what I should major in. My school doesn't offer a BS in BME so right now I have declared chemical engineering. I am considering transferring to a school that has materials science engineering with a specialty in biomaterials. This is also the school i wish to attend for grad school.

If you are planning to do BME, what is your undergrad major, and do you think it would be worth it for me to transfer? I know that no one can make this decision for me, I'm just looking for some advice. Oh yeah, the reason I'm even asking this here is because I don't think my advisor exists at all.

Members don't see this ad.

aunaturel said:
Well i am pretty set in my way of someday being a biomedical engineer, the only problem is I'm not sure what I should major in. My school doesn't offer a BS in BME so right now I have declared chemical engineering. I am considering transferring to a school that has materials science engineering with a specialty in biomaterials. This is also the school i wish to attend for grad school.

If you are planning to do BME, what is your undergrad major, and do you think it would be worth it for me to transfer? I know that no one can make this decision for me, I'm just looking for some advice. Oh yeah, the reason I'm even asking this here is because I don't think my advisor exists at all.

The best BMEs have studied other disciplies. This is why Hopkins made us take classes in a traditional engineering field. It won't hurt you to study ChemE now and then go to grad school for BME (i mean as long as you find cheme stuff interesting... I personally was a BME with a concentration in materials science and I thought that was an awesome combo and interesting enough for me). If you like your current school and your current major, then stay there. If you are really interested in biomaterials, then switch schools. But I bet you could find people doing bioimedical/biomaterials reserach at your current school. See if you can do some research for them. That way you can see if you really like the field. Plus, I knew a few people who were BME grad students at Hopkins who had previously done other stuff like ChemE or MechE or EE. It really doesn't matter what you study in undergrad as long as you're learning the basic engineering principles.