Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Advice for going to Medical School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lehar Sethi Zaidi, Feb 16, 2000.

1. Lehar Sethi Zaidi

Lehar Sethi Zaidi New Member

Hello
    I am an M.S. in Biochemical Engineering from the University of Birmingham, UK and a Bachelors in Microbiology ( Honours)from the UNiversity of Delhi. I had 86% in Sciences in the Senior Secondary exams with 91%in Biology and Chemistry.
    I am interested in going to Med. school in the US- having worked in the Management consulting industry for 2.5 years. I had cleared Med entrance exams in India after high school but at that point in time was not keen to pursue medicine. I am in the age group 26- 27.
    I am exploring options of MCAT tests and applying in the next 1- 2 years- preferably to CA Bay ARea Med Schools.
    I would apprecaite general infomration on Tets, fees for test, schools and other course information. I am also interested in medicine related internships ( voluntary, part time or otherwise)which I could do without starting a full fledged M.D to get a feel for the medical profession.
    Regards

2. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.
    10+ Year Member

Dear Lehar;

I live in San Francisco, and I know of two schools in the area - UCSF and UC Davis. Both are pretty tough to get into - I think UCSF has an average gpa of something like 3.75 or 3.8. Anyway, it's one of, if not the highest gpa average in the country.

One thing you might want to check out if you're already here is volunteering in San Francisco General's ER. SF General is affiliated with UCSF, and they give letters of recommondation. This is no "get that guy a blanket" volunteer gig, although there is plenty of that. I've volunteered there for 2 years, and I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned.

Hope this helps-

Nanon

3. nicolette

nicolette Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Lehar,
    Check out www.aamc.org which has all the information about MCATs-the dates, etc.