Advice for how to stand in a pharmacy for up to 10 hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zl19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting work in a independent pharmacy and am really feeling the effects of standing for about 10 hours a day for the past 4 days straight. I am asking for advice on what to do or how others have dealt with it and if there is anything aside from insoles that could make it more bearable especially when I have to work full time.

Thank you for your time reading my post and for any advice given

Members don't see this ad.

Ask if you can bring a stool. I am unable to stand for more than 4-5 hours without great pain. In terms of shoes, try Dansko or Rockport. I use Danskos shoes. My feet don't hurt anymore but due to my bad joint my quad always hurts. I can get a physician's note if they make an issue about it. People are not meant to stand for 10 hours without breaks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regular exercise. Also compression socks may help.

You will most likely develop varicose veins in the future...

I could use a stool but I choose to stand. Somehow it helps me concentrate better on verifying....

What's the rule of standing vs. sitting in the retail chain pharmacies? Can you bring a stool, chair, etc. to sit sometimes, or do they really want you to stand for 10-12 hours/day?

What's the rule of standing vs. sitting in the retail chain pharmacies? Can you bring a stool, chair, etc. to sit sometimes, or do they really want you to stand for 10-12 hours/day?
Depends on where you decide to work. At one chain I worked at, our district manager didn't allow stools/chairs in the pharmacy because she said it makes the pharmacy look messy and makes us look unprofessional. But you spend a lot of the day running around in retail that you don't have time to sit

It gets easier over time. Right now I like Ecco shoes.

Compression socks + plantar fasciitis bands = pain free standing 15 hours/day 7 days on/off.
Squats, calve raises, cardio, etc. hard to go wrong

I personally prefer standing & walking around if possible for staying alert

As others have mentioned you won't really have time to sit down at most places. I bought inserts and that seemed to help. Believe it or not you'll get used to it after about 2 months.

Thank you everyone for your advice, for compression stockings do I need to get fitted at the specialty pharmacies or would ordering one online suffice?

remember to stand with both legs...meaning, do not lean on on and slack the other. It'll wear down your knee that way

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep standing after a month straight you will get used to it. It feels like sh1t at first trust me I know... I used to sit 8h+ for 5 yrs for my graveyard shifts. Now, I stand 13h straight with no ill effects, except a little tired after work (but that's a given standing burns more calories than sitting). Those cushy job with chairs for 8h are the one you need to be afraid of. Standing while working is healthy. There are tons of study about this.

remember to stand with both legs...meaning, do not lean on on and slack the other. It'll wear down your knee that way
Even if you alternate sides? As the day goes on, I will typically put one foot up onto the the bottom drawer to give a bit of rest to one leg and then the other, sort of like the foot rail at a bar.

....feeling the effects of standing for about 10 hours a day for the past 4 days straight. I am asking for advice ...if there is anything aside from insoles that could make it more bearable especially when I have to work full time.....

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-kind-of-shoes-do-you-wear.1140335/#post-16545620

The BAND SECRET from my old post....still the fastest walking pharmacist in over the 30 stores I have worked at so far...with a big smile...and ZERO foot pain.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-kind-of-shoes-do-you-wear.1140335/#post-16545620

Reactions: 1 user
I am starting work in a independent pharmacy and am really feeling the effects of standing for about 10 hours a day for the past 4 days straight. I am asking for advice on what to do or how others have dealt with it and if there is anything aside from insoles that could make it more bearable especially when I have to work full time.

I just bought a pair of shoes called Oofas, and they are the cushiest shoes I have ever had. Wish I knew about them before!

Best advice? Dont. If there is no stool, bring in your own. Work smarter, not harder.

I been working 60 to 70 hours a week for years without sitting down. I did it by making sure my body weight is below average for my height and made sure my bones are very strong by eating bony fish daily and avoiding soda and other things that drain calcium out of the body.

I don't wear anything other than running shoes. I bought around four pairs, rotate between Asics, Saucony, Mizuno and Nike

Reactions: 1 user
archelis_wearable_chair_1.jpg

An wearable chair

I wore running shoes for a while but then my feet hurt. Bought a pair of Keens and feel better. I also use compression stockings that I bought online, but after a couple months they stays to fall so not sure how effective they are.

Find out if you can put an impact mat where you stand. I also get some pricey insoles at a custom shoe fitting store, but they're worth it.

When we have intern/shadowers I often forget that they aren't accustomed to standing so long until they break down about 5 hours in and ask for a chair. :)

Compression socks definitely help. Even regular knee high socks are better than nothing.

Also recommend Dansko shoes. I didn't like the feeling of wearing clogs so opted for a similar one that actually has a back.

For me the most important is having a mat to stand on. When I did my grad intern training, the store didn't have one and my feet would be hurting after 2 hours. Having a mat makes a world of a difference.

A

Any thoughts on Asics Kayano 24 and Adidas Ultraboosts 4.0 running shoes?
Although it's a nice looking shoe I would never get them only because it tends to favor people whose feet over pronate. My feet are more neutral, maybe a slight under pronate. I always recommend people going to a small running shop and getting their feet analyzed, that way you can figure out exactly what shoe fits your feet. Sounds goofy but it makes all the difference, and being an ex-cross country runner it really helped me

You have to be weak physically to not be able to stand for 8 hours

Now 12 hours can be tough but 8 hours is nothing too tough

Congrats on your new job at the independent pharmacy. Rockport make some really good shoes with the Adidas insoles if you're looking into more of a "dress up" type. They make shoes for both women and men. Also I agree with the post mentioning Adidas Ultra Boost if you're looking into more of a "sporty" look or even the NMD models. They are really lightweight, great look, and comfortable for long hours as well.

Let me know what you pick up. I'll be investing in more shoes when I start working as a pharmacist this summer.

A

Any thoughts on Asics Kayano 24 and Adidas Ultraboosts 4.0 running shoes?

Kayano 20 was my previous go to.
FYI walmart and CVS allow stools in the pharmacy.
If they give you a problem, get a prescription from the physician for the stool.

First rotate your shoes. I have several Brooks Ghost shoes. Second get an impact mat. Never tried the socks.

Definitely agree on rotating your shoes. I’ve been really happy over the last year or so with some Nike Tanjun running sneakers. I wear them on longer shifts. Strangely enough, I find that my feet do really well in cowboy boots (or simply called “boots” where I live) if the shift is on the shorter side (say <6 hours) or if I’m in the hospital.

I wear a pair of Adidas Pureboost shoes (Most adidas shoes tend to be very comfy and support my feet well.) I also tried wearing longer socks (up to the shin or so) and I have to say after working 8 hours in both ankle socks and now the longer ones, my feet do not hurt at all when the day is done. Maybe it's just placebo, though. We also have one of those mats, although I don't stand on it all the time. Walking around also seems to help. Having a stool is the best, though. Both of my pharmacists sit on a stool varying amounts during the day. I try to limit my personal stool sitting, just because I feel bad if the pharmacist or other techs are up doing stuff and I'm just lounging around, haha.