Advice for IMG GMAT or Spanish language?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarveyR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hope you are well. I have been thinking for long time and i wish have your opinion.

I have been planning to either learn Spanish or sit for GMAT. I wish to apply for a residency position in US and I am not sure how to really impress the program directors except by usual 270s + in USMLEs.

I could really use some advice.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

PS I can speak German, Bengali, English (fluent)
, Urdu on a good conversational level ( not read and write but hearing and blah blah-ing )

Last edited:
US citizen or permanent resident????

Hey guys,

Hope you are well. I have been thinking for long time and i wish have your opinion.

I have been planning to either learn Spanish or sit for GMAT. I wish to apply for a residency position in US and I am not sure how to really impress the program directors except by usual 270s + in USMLEs.

I could really use some advice.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Neither of those two will matter for residency admissions.

Scores, rotations, research, in that order.

Hey thanks.
Well yeah these are on mind. But besides that. Language or GMAT are additional things I am willing to take. Just to be more competitive.
I know all those things are hard to get and I am fully aware ( the scores, rotation, research )

What relevance would a B-school admissions test have on a medical residency? Are you considering B-school before or after med school?

What relevance would a B-school admissions test have on a medical residency? Are you considering B-school before or after med school?
I of course thought of it but I dont know show off my abilities or something? Its just that number of medical school has risen and if there is no increase residency slot its gonna be trouble for IMG. I do have target to score 270+ in my USMLEs. I study in Czech Republic, english Program, Charles University (not the first faculty) so there are plenty of options for research. Our Faculty has a program to send some student for summer internships to Mayo for three months. It has its on research opportunities so I plan to take part in them.
These are long tasks. Also I am gonna finish off med school in seven years instead of six. I had to take an extra year. Sp I dont know :(
I have two options, continue my Graduate Medical Education in Germany ( they seem to be pretty friendly towards IMGs now ) or USA if lucks plays well ( I prefer USA )

Oh btw even though our faculty has like no California recognition, one of our graduates still went to California after internal medicine. Do California makes exceptions to giving PTAL in some cases?

Oh btw even though our faculty has like no California recognition, one of our graduates still went to California after internal medicine. Do California makes exceptions to giving PTAL in some cases?
The only exception I am aware of for a PTAL is for a short term license as a University faculty member who has specific skills that cannot be met by someone eligible for a CA license. This is quite uncommon.

Reactions: 1 user
The only exception I am aware of for a PTAL is for a short term license as a University faculty member who has specific skills that cannot be met by someone eligible for a CA license. This is quite uncommon.
I dont know dude! but that dude is a resident in Internal medicine. I was like what the.......!

I dont know dude! but that dude is a resident in Internal medicine. I was like what the.......!
I've been a physician in CA for about 35 years and if you didn't attend a CA-approved international school, I'm not aware of any loophole but the one I described. The Program Director is in for a big surprise when it comes time for the resident to apply for a license. Many programs require a license for continuation at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the better use of your time/money/effort would be to focus on your medical school curriculum and preparing for the USMLEs. I could not imagine a case where two identical applicants are evaluated for 1 residency slot and the GMAT score was the deciding factor. Language skills are more relevant on the job market after a residency program but may or may not play into a residency decision. Take your classes seriously, study for the exams, apply, and enjoy life.

I of course thought of it but I dont know show off my abilities or something? Its just that number of medical school has risen and if there is no increase residency slot its gonna be trouble for IMG. I do have target to score 270+ in my USMLEs. I study in Czech Republic, english Program, Charles University (not the first faculty) so there are plenty of options for research. Our Faculty has a program to send some student for summer internships to Mayo for three months. It has its on research opportunities so I plan to take part in them.
These are long tasks. Also I am gonna finish off med school in seven years instead of six. I had to take an extra year. Sp I dont know :(
I have two options, continue my Graduate Medical Education in Germany ( they seem to be pretty friendly towards IMGs now ) or USA if lucks plays well ( I prefer USA )

I think the better use of your time/money/effort would be to focus on your medical school curriculum and preparing for the USMLEs. I could not imagine a case where two identical applicants are evaluated for 1 residency slot and the GMAT score was the deciding factor. Language skills are more relevant on the job market after a residency program but may or may not play into a residency decision. Take your classes seriously, study for the exams, apply, and enjoy life.

Thank you very much for your reply :)
I will definitely simply continue with USMLE. I learn German so as to have back up incase USA does not work out.

I've been a physician in CA for about 35 years and if you didn't attend a CA-approved international school, I'm not aware of any loophole but the one I described. The Program Director is in for a big surprise when it comes time for the resident to apply for a license. Many programs require a license for continuation at some point.
Yeah would not play with that either but tbh he is an internal medical resident. I think the school probably gave him transcript for Czech program. Our school does not differentiate between the Czech Program and the English program. I asked a few teacher assuming that only "students with bad grades" entered the English version, they replied during the senior years the quality of students are about the same both in Czech and English. But I will still ask my Dean to kindly consider to apply for the recognition. I just dont the graduate to fall into any trouble later or now :(.