Advice for incoming interns regarding moving, homebuying, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burs0028

eat. sleep. tPA.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread specifically for current residents to share tips or regrets about the process of moving for residency...

I moved from Denver to San Antonio. I used my spring break to drive down with my wife and shop for a house with a realtor that had been recommended to me by another neurology resident. Turns out this realtor (Andy Freilinger of Keller Williams; top 25 agent in San Antone, 210-842-8784) had helped lots of the previous wilford hall residents find homes and I highly recommend him. I should add I have no gift or financial incentive to tell you this. He and his wife sent us listing via email for a few weeks before we visited then we looked at about 10 homes/day for the 1st 2 days we visited. On the 3rd day we took some 2nd looks and made an offer. On day 4 we were in a contract.

My realtor cringed when I told him I was using Bank of America for my loan. He warned me they were SLOW...I wish I had listened. BoA was a nightmare. I used this Deborah lady who supposedly specialized in new Dr. loans. She sucked. She lied. 6 weeks later I still didn't have the final approval I needed despite verbal assurances, switching to different programs, various letters from the military stating my earnings, ect. Finally after having to delay closing twice I called USAA. Within 48hrs I was ready to close--it was AMAZING. Plus with USAA instead of waiting on hold to reach my loan officer they were calling me every other day to make sure I was satisfied. The kicker was with my seller agreeing to kick in 2000 for closing costs I closed for less than 200 dollars. I strongly recommend USAA.

To get familiar with the whole process of buying a house I bought the Idiots guide to buying and selling a home. It has everything you need to know. We moved down 1 week before orientation started. I waited too long to ensure the power and gas were in my name, so we had to use candles and eat out for the 1st 2 days. After that the move was flawless. Nothing broken, nothing lost.

That's all for now, if I think of more tips or suggestions I'll add a post. Plus anyone coming to San Antonio can email me at my [email protected] for individual questions. I should mention that one of the medicine intern's husband is a realtor too, but as I haven't worked with him I cannot endorse. He'll need to be REALLY on top of his game to beat Andy Freilinger tho...

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I'd start a thread specifically for current residents to share tips or regrets about the process of moving for residency...

I moved from Denver to San Antonio. I used my spring break to drive down with my wife and shop for a house with a realtor that had been recommended to me by another neurology resident. Turns out this realtor (Andy Freilinger of Keller Williams; top 25 agent in San Antone, 210-842-8784) had helped lots of the previous wilford hall residents find homes and I highly recommend him. I should add I have no gift or financial incentive to tell you this. He and his wife sent us listing via email for a few weeks before we visited then we looked at about 10 homes/day for the 1st 2 days we visited. On the 3rd day we took some 2nd looks and made an offer. On day 4 we were in a contract.

My realtor cringed when I told him I was using Bank of America for my loan. He warned me they were SLOW...I wish I had listened. BoA was a nightmare. I used this Deborah lady who supposedly specialized in new Dr. loans. She sucked. She lied. 6 weeks later I still didn't have the final approval I needed despite verbal assurances, switching to different programs, various letters from the military stating my earnings, ect. Finally after having to delay closing twice I called USAA. Within 48hrs I was ready to close--it was AMAZING. Plus with USAA instead of waiting on hold to reach my loan officer they were calling me every other day to make sure I was satisfied. The kicker was with my seller agreeing to kick in 2000 for closing costs I closed for less than 200 dollars. I strongly recommend USAA.

To get familiar with the whole process of buying a house I bought the Idiots guide to buying and selling a home. It has everything you need to know. We moved down 1 week before orientation started. I waited too long to ensure the power and gas were in my name, so we had to use candles and eat out for the 1st 2 days. After that the move was flawless. Nothing broken, nothing lost.

That's all for now, if I think of more tips or suggestions I'll add a post. Plus anyone coming to San Antonio can email me at my [email protected] for individual questions. I should mention that one of the medicine intern's husband is a realtor too, but as I haven't worked with him I cannot endorse. He'll need to be REALLY on top of his game to beat Andy Freilinger tho...

I second the notion for using USAA and can't foresee using anyone else for any kind of loan or insurance for the foreseeable future. Also, for those pre-graduation they provide a $25,000 2% fixed-rate Career Starter loan, fees-free and deferred until residency.

I am currently halfway done w/ my internship at BAMC and unfortunately won't be staying in San Antonio after June 2008. My wife and I built a new home up north, off of the 281 (The Preserve at Indian Springs) and would be interested in either renting or selling to an incoming Army or AF intern. It is a gorgeous luxury Lennar home w/ all of the upgrades (stainless appliances, granite countertops, great stonework in living room/fireplace and kitchen/stove hearth). 2200 square ft ranch w/ 2 car garage, combination 3 sides brick and stonework (limestone). Huge oversized fenced backyard, 3 bedrooms plus a study, 2 full bathrooms, huge master bedroom/bathroom/walk-in closet (LCD wall mounted in bedroom) Most of the neighborhood is military families, either retired or w/ 3-4 young kids. Community pool up the street. We built and furnished the place w/ plans to be in SA for 5 years but a change in career paths is prompting an early PCS. Shoot my wife an e-mail if you may be interested, at [email protected]

Also, if I can answer any questions about mortgages, realtors, Army GME at BAMC, etc I would be happy to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently halfway done w/ my internship at BAMC and unfortunately won't be staying in San Antonio after June 2008. My wife and I built a new home up north, off of the 281 (The Preserve at Indian Springs) and would be interested in either renting or selling to an incoming Army or AF intern. It is a gorgeous luxury Lennar home w/ all of the upgrades (stainless appliances, granite countertops, great stonework in living room/fireplace and kitchen/stove hearth). 2200 square ft ranch w/ 2 car garage, combination 3 sides brick and stonework (limestone). Huge oversized fenced backyard, 3 bedrooms plus a study, 2 full bathrooms, huge master bedroom/bathroom/walk-in closet (LCD wall mounted in bedroom) Most of the neighborhood is military families, either retired or w/ 3-4 young kids. Community pool up the street. We built and furnished the place w/ plans to be in SA for 5 years but a change in career paths is prompting an early PCS. Shoot my wife an e-mail if you may be interested, at [email protected]

Also, if I can answer any questions about mortgages, realtors, Army GME at BAMC, etc I would be happy to do so.

I will be doing internship at Brooke. What is it like? I hear it is one of the most challenging internships in the military. How far is your home from the hospital?

Angel,

BAMC is a geat place to train, at least from a surgical perspective which I have been living for the past 6 months. It is busy, but with the civilian trauma population in addition to the OIF/OEF injuries and AD/retirees/dependents, the training is excellent.

Our home is up North, a couple of miles North of the 1604 off the 281. Its approx 20-30 minutes to BAMC depending on traffic.

Take care.