Advice for Internal Medicine Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XxNemesis29xX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently a 3rd year thinking of going into internal medicine, and would like some advice on where I stand as an applicant. Applications are just a few months away, and I'm not too sure on which "tier" of programs I should be shooting for.

I've gotten mostly HPs and Ps during my clinical and pre-clinical years. I just found out I regular Passed my medicine clerkship, and with a Step 1 score of 225, I want to know where I fall when applying to internal medicine programs. I haven't done research except for during undergrad, but do have some leadership positions and volunteer experience during medical school. I plan to complete my SubI and Step 2 before September, when applications go out.

I'd like to apply mostly in the northeast area for Internal Medicine, primarily New York. I remember when I was applying for med school, there were algorithms that showed your competitiveness for specific schools based on your MCAT and GPA, does such a thing exist for residency programs in Internal Medicine? I know the average for IM is around a 220, but I'm not sure how to go about picking which schools to apply and how to rank just yet. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely think you will want to be realistic.

Although I realize these are very crude, here is a "calculator" (http://www.studentdoc.com/usmle-score.html) that you can use to measure your profile's competitiveness among different specialties, obviously IM being one of them. This will roughly give you a general sense about where you are. I think you're making the right call in taking Step 2 early. Having much improved scores sent to programs will greatly benefit you. I would apply to many programs - don't worry about cost (it's a drop in the bucket) - and go to each and every interview you receive, if possible.

Based on what you've said, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to get yourself involved in some research even now. You may get something out of it by the time you apply, and it will at least show you're taking the initiative. Also, assess how your LOR's are. It'll be a great advantage if they speak highly and specifically about you. Good luck.

Hi all,

I'm currently a 3rd year thinking of going into internal medicine, and would like some advice on where I stand as an applicant. Applications are just a few months away, and I'm not too sure on which "tier" of programs I should be shooting for.

I've gotten mostly HPs and Ps during my clinical and pre-clinical years. I just found out I regular Passed my medicine clerkship, and with a Step 1 score of 225, I want to know where I fall when applying to internal medicine programs. I haven't done research except for during undergrad, but do have some leadership positions and volunteer experience during medical school. I plan to complete my SubI and Step 2 before September, when applications go out.

I'd like to apply mostly in the northeast area for Internal Medicine, primarily New York. I remember when I was applying for med school, there were algorithms that showed your competitiveness for specific schools based on your MCAT and GPA, does such a thing exist for residency programs in Internal Medicine? I know the average for IM is around a 220, but I'm not sure how to go about picking which schools to apply and how to rank just yet. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

the above link is off.

avg Step 1 for IM is probably high 220's/low 230's now.

i can make you a list of NYC/northeast programs right now based of my experiences this past cycle and your step scores/grades. your likely middle of your class to bottom half and your P in medicine won't help you.

highly unlikely
Columbia
Cornell
MGH
BIDMC
BW
UPenn
NYU
Sinai

maybe
BU
Tufts
Jefferson

competitive
Montefiore
Northshore LIJ
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stonybrook
Robert Wood Johnson
Temple
Drexel
All community programs in NY not mentioned (BI, SLR, Winthrop, etc)

if you want more help, go here and here. all the advice is very sound for the most part.

Last edited: