Advice for Late Decision to go Medical Route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DecisionsOPlenty

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

So I'm about to graduate with a B.Sc. in Psych with a 3.5 -3.6 GPA depending on how my final classes come out and how much they pump up my GPA. However I've made the late decision to switch paths and go for medical school. I was wondering what things I should be doing to get ready, any advice, etc. especially in relation to prerequisites as that is the next obstacle in my path. The other question I have is in regard to pumping up my EC's? I'll list all relevant info below so anyone giving advice can look through it.

Relevant Info:
I'm from Texas, so i'm mostly looking at TMDSAS schools like UTSW and others, however I'd be open to schools anywhere if I have a shot.
I have not taken the MCAT or studied yet because I just made this decision, and I haven't taken the courses that would prep me.
I have taken Principle of Bio 1 and 2 with corresponding lab work, as well as A&P 1 and 2 with corresponding lab work, so I believe I meet the Biology requirements for most schools.
The only chem I have taken was Intro for non-science majors, so I don't believe that will apply here.
With that in mind, I believe I need Chem 1 and 2, O-Chem 1 and 2, and Biochem.
I also will be needing Physics 1 and 2 I believe, with corresponding labs.
I have taken Elementary Stats, but I don't know if this will apply for medical school.
I have taken English 1 and 2, so that should cover the english reqs.
And then some schools require psych I have heard, but that should be covered by my psych major required courses.
(If I'm missing any prereqs, please let me know)
For EC's:
- I've done about 400 hours with a local hospital, however I didn't get the volunteer logs and it was from 2016, so I don't have a way to prove it if that is necessary. Should I get more hours?
- I was in Boy Scouts, made it the rank of Star. Nothing special here, except I did help on a lot of community service projects ex. I helped a friend with his eagle project and we built a playground for a church which was really exciting.
- I have work experience, but nothing medical related. I'm considering jobs like EMT or something but I don't know what would be best.
- I need some non-clinical volunteer hours, so I'm looking for soup kitchens and stuff like that right now, however it's difficult with the pandemic.
- I have no research or pubs
- I have no *official* shadowing experience (I got in good with a doctor while I was at the volunteering position and he let me follow him around a few days, however there is no official documentation and I don't have contact info).

Any advice is appreciated. I'm really just a little lost and anything would be a big help!

Members don't see this ad.

You need a post bacc that should include the entire chemistry sequence and physics. You need to try to boost your GPA to 3.7+ if possible which is the mean for accepted MD students. The higher you push your GPA, the better. Also do well on the MCAT. Then you can add extracurriculars. You're not likely to get shadowing during the pandemic. Try to ease some volunteer work in slowly, then find a clinical job (e.g. scribing) once you have finished all of the required materials and done well on the MCAT. Add in shadowing when the pandemic is over. It will probably take 1-2 gap years, but it can be done.

Reactions: 1 user
if @Goro can confirm

the best route for you would be to start a career-changer post-bacc. these are well-organized programs that help you cover all the medical prereqs, arrange shadowing and other extracurricular opportunities, as well as committee recommendation letters

if you need to be conservative with money, undertake a DIY post-bacc. you'll have to schedule your own courses, pursue shadowing and volunteering opportunities, and ask professors for individual letters, but the journey is slower-paced, less tense and flexible to your needs

Members don't see this ad :)
if @Goro can confirm

the best route for you would be to start a career-changer post-bacc. these are well-organized programs that help you cover all the medical prereqs, arrange shadowing and other extracurricular opportunities, as well as committee recommendation letters

if you need to be conservative with money, undertake a DIY post-bacc. you'll have to schedule your own courses, pursue shadowing and volunteering opportunities, and ask professors for individual letters, but the journey is slower-paced, less tense and flexible to your needs
100% agree!!!

Hi Y'all,

So I'm about to graduate with a B.Sc. in Psych with a 3.5 -3.6 GPA depending on how my final classes come out and how much they pump up my GPA. However I've made the late decision to switch paths and go for medical school. I was wondering what things I should be doing to get ready, any advice, etc. especially in relation to prerequisites as that is the next obstacle in my path. The other question I have is in regard to pumping up my EC's? I'll list all relevant info below so anyone giving advice can look through it.

Relevant Info:
I'm from Texas, so i'm mostly looking at TMDSAS schools like UTSW and others, however I'd be open to schools anywhere if I have a shot.
I have not taken the MCAT or studied yet because I just made this decision, and I haven't taken the courses that would prep me.
I have taken Principle of Bio 1 and 2 with corresponding lab work, as well as A&P 1 and 2 with corresponding lab work, so I believe I meet the Biology requirements for most schools.
The only chem I have taken was Intro for non-science majors, so I don't believe that will apply here.
With that in mind, I believe I need Chem 1 and 2, O-Chem 1 and 2, and Biochem.
I also will be needing Physics 1 and 2 I believe, with corresponding labs.
I have taken Elementary Stats, but I don't know if this will apply for medical school.
I have taken English 1 and 2, so that should cover the english reqs.
And then some schools require psych I have heard, but that should be covered by my psych major required courses.
(If I'm missing any prereqs, please let me know)
For EC's:
- I've done about 400 hours with a local hospital, however I didn't get the volunteer logs and it was from 2016, so I don't have a way to prove it if that is necessary. Should I get more hours?
- I was in Boy Scouts, made it the rank of Star. Nothing special here, except I did help on a lot of community service projects ex. I helped a friend with his eagle project and we built a playground for a church which was really exciting.
- I have work experience, but nothing medical related. I'm considering jobs like EMT or something but I don't know what would be best.
- I need some non-clinical volunteer hours, so I'm looking for soup kitchens and stuff like that right now, however it's difficult with the pandemic.
- I have no research or pubs
- I have no *official* shadowing experience (I got in good with a doctor while I was at the volunteering position and he let me follow him around a few days, however there is no official documentation and I don't have contact info).

Any advice is appreciated. I'm really just a little lost and anything would be a big help!

Above folks talked more about courses so I'll just touch on EC's:
As a reviewer I essentially discount anything that happens before college unless it is continued in college. This applies to both of your top two experiences- Unless you continued hospital volunteering and Boy Scout involvement throughout college you probably shouldn't put these on your application.
You'll need at least 1 but most likely 2 years off to take courses and the MCAT which would give you plenty of time to shadow, volunteer, and boost your EC's.