Advice for Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mootacoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any quick advice would be very helpful :)

I've got letters coming already from 3 science prof & my research advisor but, our school's committee requires 5 letters. Thus I need one more... What do you think would be my best bet? My options:

-Home Depot manager (worked there one summer 1.5 yrs ago... always was liked by the managers and supervisors but I'm afraid they already would have forgotten me)

-Volunteer Department at Hospital (I've volunteered a few semesters, but it seems the letter is more to confirm you've put in the hours, not necessarily "recommended" you)

-Volunteer Advisor (I volunteer right now as a patient transporter... only been doing it for this semester so I don't know that she'd have much experience to go off of in the letter)

-Boy Scout Camp Director (I worked there as a counselor for 5 years, but only one summer is considered "in college." My pre-med advisor seems to be leaning me away from relying on them because it would be borderline between high school and college. But, the letter would probably be very supportive.)

Any advice on which one to ask would be very helpful! I'm stuck between them and can't make up my mind!

Members don't see this ad.

Many med schools request a nonscience faculty member who taught you. Is that possible?

Sorry to steal your thread and ask another question, but I have some concerns about my non-science LOR. Right now, there are three options for me.

1. My current history professor, still have to finish the semester but it's hard to get in contact with him, he doesn't know me all too well now

2. My current psychology teaching assistant, I don't think she has her PhD yet, but she is a lecturer for the course and has done extensive research already, I already know her fairly well and can get to know her more by the end of the semester

3. A sociology teacher that I had a year ago, I'm not sure if she remembers me but the class size was small and I did amazing in the class, it was a 100-level class though, I'm not sure if that's desired for an LOR

And also along the lines of the OP's questions, is it ok to get a supplemental letter from an employer? I work in an insurance agency so, like Home Depot, has nothing to do with medicine. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ibzak, opinions may vary on this point, but I think that a letter from TA that knows you well and thinks you could 'walk on water', can relate personallity traits that translate well to medicine, and can cite instances of your profound contributions to class discussions is more helpful than a letter from a tenured professor who can't tell you apart from others in the class and knows no more of you than the grade in his book tells. Sure, everyone would like a letter combining the best elements of these two scenarios, but that isn't aways possible. A common middle ground is to have a TA write the letter and get it co-signed by the professor she's teaching for, along with all the bells and whistles that go below the signature regarding academic rank.

I think that option #2 sounds the best.

A supplemental letter from a boss is fine, so long as you are sure it will reflect well on you nd not be too impersonal.

Hm I'd have to get a prof from last semester for a non-science :( All science classes this semester... I could try my writing teacher but there's the chance she's forgotten me since the class ended.

What are your opinions about the four I have in the OP? Better off with non-science prof?

Any quick advice would be very helpful :)

I've got letters coming already from 3 science prof & my research advisor but, our school's committee requires 5 letters. Thus I need one more... What do you think would be my best bet? My options:

-Home Depot manager (worked there one summer 1.5 yrs ago... always was liked by the managers and supervisors but I'm afraid they already would have forgotten me)

-Volunteer Department at Hospital (I've volunteered a few semesters, but it seems the letter is more to confirm you've put in the hours, not necessarily "recommended" you)

-Volunteer Advisor (I volunteer right now as a patient transporter... only been doing it for this semester so I don't know that she'd have much experience to go off of in the letter)

-Boy Scout Camp Director (I worked there as a counselor for 5 years, but only one summer is considered "in college." My pre-med advisor seems to be leaning me away from relying on them because it would be borderline between high school and college. But, the letter would probably be very supportive.)

Any advice on which one to ask would be very helpful! I'm stuck between them and can't make up my mind!

I would go for Boy Scout Camp Director. They can asses your social skills better than any of the other people.

What are your opinions about the four I have in the OP? Better off with non-science prof?
Of the four mentioned, I'd agree that the Boy Scout Camp Director is most likely to have some helpful comments pertinent to personality traits desirable in future physicians. It would also be based on significant longevity.

Thanks for all the advice so far :)

I've got a non-science letter coming now... But would it be helpful to still get another of the 4 I listed? I agree that the Boy Scout Director would write the strongest letter. But my advisor seems to think it would hurt me because it is from (mostly) high school. Would it be better just not to include it (since I do have enough letters), or do you think it would help?

But my advisor seems to think it would hurt me because it is from (mostly) high school. Would it be better just not to include it (since I do have enough letters), or do you think it would help?
It won't hurt, but if you have enough letters based on more recent observations of your character, I'd go with those.