Other OT-Related Information Advice for living arrangements in OT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTgirl29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all! So I've been accepted and will be attending an OT program. I'll have to start figuring out living arrangements for next fall here soon. Does anyone have any advice on this? Is it a good/bad idea to live with others in your cohort? Obviously I don't want to be spending more money than I have to be. Any advice is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I've also been accepted into a program and have been wondering this. I know there are benefits and drawbacks to living with people from your cohort, but I'd like to hear some first-hand experiences! Would it be better to live with other graduate-level students that aren't in the same program as me? Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I personally am trying to avoid it. I'm not sure about other schools, but for my program, we all take our classes together as a cohort. I don't think I could handle being around the same person 24/7 and I doubt somebody could do that for me as well. But that's just me-- I definitely need my personal space and alone time.

Reactions: 1 user
There is validity in what the posts above mentioned. It ultimately depends on everyone communicating openly and respecting each other. I'm a second year and my housemate and I have been together the entire time in the program. There are also both people in my cohort that has stopped living together because it didn't work and others who decided to move in together later in the program. OTS are just people- there will be problems but it's a matter of problem solving. Other options are looking for students outside the program or young professional in the area if you want to stray from being with people in your cohort 24-7. Our cohort has less than 20 students by the way.

Reactions: 1 users