Advice for low GPA/low GPA success stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

33Tchica

Weara flower in your hair
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Looking for more advice. What is the best way to get in this application cycle with a low GPA? I spoke today to a staff member at USF and she flat out told me my science GPA (3.05) was at the bare minimum to be considered and things didn't look great for me. I have some extenuating circumstances but I am not sure how much influence they will have. Any advice would be great.

Also, would anyone mind sharing a low GPA success story? Could you share how you approached the topic of your lowish GPA for applications/interviews?
Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you not applied yet? If not, you shouldn't apply this cycle. Take science classes next semester and bring up your GPA and then submit your app in June.

P.S. I find your avatar highly disturbing for some reason.

omg what is so disturbing about my avatar?

Members don't see this ad :)
now i dont even have an avatar
happy?

Hello.
Also, would anyone mind sharing a low GPA success story? Could you share how you approached the topic of your lowish GPA for applications/interviews?
Thank you very much for your thoughts.

I'm in a similar boat. I had a 3.1 GPA, though from a very good school. I did later get a master's in public health with a much higher GPA. Not sure how much that counts for since it was certainly easier. I also studied a lot for the MCAT and did well enough to easily breeze past their average. I think that it's important to have other strong points in your application if your GPA is low, but I want to encourage you that it IS possible!

In any case, I'm not a success story yet, but I do have two interviews so far! It is at least possible!

I'm going to assume that you got a 33T on the MCAT (a reasonable guess, no?) so here's what I have to say:

1) Consider withdrawing and reapplying next year. Yeah, I know, you don't want to hear that but really you want to apply when you are the best possible candidate you can be. Bone up on some science classes and ACE them. It may not affect your overall GPA much, but having A's in difficult upper levels shows you have some brain power (and that you're willing to do the work-having a 33 means that you aren't a dummy).

2) If the extenuating circumstances are something you think the adcoms will think are valid reasons (death in the family, having a severe illness, etc) then be open and honest. Talking about it in your PS-if you've learned something from the experience-is not going to be the kiss of death. Giving a simple explanation for it in interviews is ok too, just don't make excuses. I think it's ok to say, "well, I got a C in this class, but I knew I could do better so I got an A in the next level up." Personally, I think being able to admit your mistakes and showing that you've learned from them is a sign of maturity.

good luck! you don't need a 3.9 to get into med school but that 3.05 is going to make it a challenge. :luck:

I am in the same boat, my GPA for my bachelor's is even worse, 2.91, but I havn't even don't my premed stuff and am looking into postbaccs right now. I also have some personal reasons, but there were two separate things, both devestating, and I'm not sure how to even explain them without sounding like A) I want people to feel sorry for me, and B) I'm making excuses.

By the way, I'm not sure what's wrong with your avatar. A heart balloon?? I'm assuming you've changed it.

It depends on the rest of your app. I was in a similar position this (2009) app year. I finished a biology degree with a 2.97 cum gpa and a 3.2 science. The catch is that I had a strong upward trend (3.8 for last 2 years) and a strong app otherwise ( 37Q MCAT, TONS of medically related experience, meaningful volunteer and reserch). In the end, with my AMCAS showing the 2.97, I applied to about 15 schools, interview offers at 7, interviewed at 3, and accepted at 3 (Including Wisconsin, Ohio State, and UNM). It can be done, you just have to go the extra mile to show your potential and desire.

I kind of support whoever mentioned to withdraw next year. If you have money to spare, you should definitely consider an SMP. These programs are designed exactly for candidates with low GPA and reasonable MCAT. I'm not sure if you have looked into these programs, but it might be a good idea to just scout them so you know they are available.

I wouldn't really recommend going and taking any science course and getting an A. It's going to increase your gpa by less than 0.1, and that won't help you much. An SMP program gives you a whole new GPA to show to the Adcoms. Just know that these programs are high risk, high reward.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to me, or also check out the SMP threads here on SDN.

Good luck, and never give up hope. If you want to get there, if you REALLY want to get there, you can.

My stats were super low, especially as an MD/PhD applicant, and I also retook the MCAT a second time in hopes of getting a higher school, but the opposite actually happened.

I guess it's worth repeating, but I think it's really important to have good LORs, a strong personal statement that really outlines why you're going through this hellish process in detail and what you ultimately think you want to do with your education, and rock any interviews you get.

I also understand that certain circumstances can affect your academics. something happened in my family that resulted in my second MCAT drop, but the schools I interviewed at just asked me about it and I explained and everything was fine.

I think the big thing is that you really need to ask yourself whether or not you feel like what you bring to the table at this point really represents your full potential. Otherwise, I would try again later. G'luck!

Last edited by a moderator: