Advice for low step 1 and Emergency Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med9099

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My step 1 score was 204. I attend a reputable high ranked allopathic school.

I have already pulled the NRMP statistics and understand the information they give. My question is in regards to "competitiveness" and likelihood of matching in a specific location.

I know that it is subjective and difficult to advise on how competitive each program is, but I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what my chances would be in matching to a program in the northeast, specifically NH, ME, MA, or RI (though info about CT and NY would be welcomed as well).

I have personal reasons as to why I need to reside in this area, and they are significant enough for me to have to evaluate my career path based on living in the northeast - extremely disappointing and discouraging for me. There are obvious, highly coveted programs in these states, but if someone has insight into any other programs, or suggested steps I could take to be considered at these programs, I would really appreciate it. It is a given that I need to do exceptionally well on step 2, but how much would this affect my chances in this area?

These are some specific residencies I'd love to match into, if anyone has any info on them and how my score would be viewed: Dartmouth, Maine Medical, UMass, Baystate, Brown, UConn, Albany.

Any information would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My step 1 score was 204. I attend a reputable high ranked allopathic school.

I have already pulled the NRMP statistics and understand the information they give. My question is in regards to "competitiveness" and likelihood of matching in a specific location.

I know that it is subjective and difficult to advise on how competitive each program is, but I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what my chances would be in matching to a program in the northeast, specifically NH, ME, MA, or RI (though info about CT and NY would be welcomed as well).

I have personal reasons as to why I need to reside in this area, and they are significant enough for me to have to evaluate my career path based on living in the northeast - extremely disappointing and discouraging for me. There are obvious, highly coveted programs in these states, but if someone has insight into any other programs, or suggested steps I could take to be considered at these programs, I would really appreciate it. It is a given that I need to do exceptionally well on step 2, but how much would this affect my chances in this area?

These are some specific residencies I'd love to match into, if anyone has any info on them and how my score would be viewed: Dartmouth, Maine Medical, UMass, Baystate, Brown, UConn, Albany.

Any information would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
You realize there is a thread that's still on the front page that asks the same question minus geography. With that low of a step 1, matching will be difficult (but not impossible given the factors described in the other thread) anywhere in EM. If you have to be in the NE I would investigate other specialties.

Reactions: 2 users