Advice for MCAT Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moe90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! SO I have been studying for the MCAT but my verbal score is not improving , I do not know what to do?! Any advice on a technique that worked for you?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think its called mapping. This helped me, and this is how you do it.

Before you start the verbal test use your scratch paper
and write this down
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
etc until you get to 7(or however many passages there are, I forget now)

You have this blank list...read pretty quick, do not stop or re-read anything. At the end of every paragraph, think of the main point
then fill it in on one line. Do this for every paragraph, but make sure you get the main point right.

Then if you need to find anything you have this easy list. This really helps if the author is presenting different arguments or throwing lots of different points out there.
Try it and let me know how it goes.

You should check out the MCAT forum. There are many people giving advices based on what worked for them. They can also comment on what prep books are good and doing what on a daily basis will help with the verbal section. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, there is no secret to doing well on the MCAT. I've taken it twice and all I can say is: practice. Find what works for you.

For me, I boosted my verbal by reading. I know it sounds simple, but it's true. I didn't need to read the most challenging material either. I was just reading novels. The first time I took the MCAT, I got a 9 in verbal. I'd hover around the 9-11 mark on practice exams. Then, believe it or not, I got an e-reader for graduation and began reading non-stop. I stopped mapping passages (Kaplan-style) because I found that I was never using my maps. That saved a ton of time. I didn't try to read fast; I tried to read to understand. You won't save time if you just have to re-read stuff. I got a 15 in verbal before my last practice exam.