Advice for MD/PhD applicant / Can I apply for this upcoming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goMSTP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to get some advice on my application for MD/PhD.
I am interested in MD/PhD program and willing to apply for this upcoming cycle.
I am particularly interested in bioinformatics / computational biology for PhD portion.
GPA: 3.87 at a top 30 school
Major: Neuroscience
MCAT: 517 (131, 126, 130, 130) (Low CARs)
Home State: GA
Ethnicity: Asian male
Clinical Volunteering: 3 hrs/week in the Emergency room for 2 yr, 2hrs/week in hospice for 1.5 yr.
Non-clinical volunteering: Went to volunteer in Swaziland for 30 days. (Soup kitchen for orphanages & taught science high school students)
Research: 3 posters presented (1st author for 2 posters at national conferences and 2nd author for 1 poster at a regional conference). 1 peer-reviewed article published as the second author in mid-high impact factor journal. 1 peer-reviewed article submitted as the first author in mid-impact factor journal.
Shadowing: Currently have 20 hours of shadowing from MD. Will probably have 30 more hours of shadowing by the application.
Extracurricular Activities: Fundraised for a year in a school club.

Also, as you can see I do not have any non-clinical volunteering hours. I spent most of the hours on research during undergrad. How much non-clinical volunteering hours is important?

Is there any advice or feedback on my application? like what activities should I do more until the application cycle?
Do you guys think I can apply for this upcoming cycle? or do I need to do like post-bac program to be a strong applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep doing research and apply broadly... Although you is highly likely that you will make it into MSTP, you must apply to 5-10 dream, 5-10 match, and 5 less competitive schools. You don't need to do more ECs. Start writing your essays and submit early (before June 15). You will get secondaries and CASPER, etc... then interviewing until you are tired. You will then have choices...

Some schools will care about your 126, some don't....

Reactions: 1 user
I think your research track record may carry you far!

Members don't see this ad :)
@kepler16b @Fencer
Thanks for the advice!
Can you guys suggest the list of programs that I should be applying??

Match schools by research interest and location (if that is important to you) then filter by competitiveness.

Use Fencer's suggestion: 5-10 dream, 5-10 match, and 5 less competitive.

I am by no means an expert but with 3 posters, 1 mid author pub, and 1 FA pub, you might be a pretty solid candidate! It will ultimately come down to how well you can convey a compelling story.