Advice for MS1 meeting with PD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Serous Demilune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically, in my search for research opportunities this summer I sent out some emails to surgeons near my home doing research in a surgical subspecialty I am currently interested in. I now have a meeting with one surgeon who is the PD of a program I would love to rotate through/match at one day. At first it seemed like a good idea to get to know him and the program better, but now I am very nervous that I will screw it all up and make myself look bad.
I have very little prior research experience (one semester in undergrad doing bench work in a non-biomedical lab). What can I do to prepare for the meeting besides reading a few of is recent pubs? Will I be able to make it through the summer without looking like a ******* if I have no clinical research experience? The last thing I want to do is leave a bad impression at this place in particular.

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing you can do is to come into the meeting and tell him you are an active member at SDN. Before you go make sure you become a Lifetime Member to show him your determination to make the medical community better and encourage him to look up your posts here.

Reactions: 1 users
The best thing you can do is to come into the meeting and tell him you are an active member at SDN. Before you go make sure you become a Lifetime Member to show him your determination to make the medical community better and encourage him to look up your posts here.
He won't buy it, I don't have the post count or hilarious use of sarcasm that you do. Thanks though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget my wit too.

Reactions: 1 user
You're a MS1. He's not going to expect you to know what you're doing in terms of clinical research. What he IS going to expect is that you learn, work hard, and get him an additional publication or two.

You're a MS1. He's not going to expect you to know what you're doing in terms of clinical research. What he IS going to expect is that you learn, work hard, and get him an additional publication or two.

And if you screw up he's not going to remember you in 3 years. Unless you do something to get in him trouble with the IRB.

So basically, in my search for research opportunities this summer I sent out some emails to surgeons near my home doing research in a surgical subspecialty I am currently interested in. I now have a meeting with one surgeon who is the PD of a program I would love to rotate through/match at one day. At first it seemed like a good idea to get to know him and the program better, but now I am very nervous that I will screw it all up and make myself look bad.
I have very little prior research experience (one semester in undergrad doing bench work in a non-biomedical lab). What can I do to prepare for the meeting besides reading a few of is recent pubs? Will I be able to make it through the summer without looking like a ******* if I have no clinical research experience? The last thing I want to do is leave a bad impression at this place in particular.

lol he doesn't give 2 $$$$ about a M1. You can do whatever you want I guarantee you 1 year from today he won't remember you so don't hype this up and stress yourself out. He has attendings, residents and at the bottom of the food chain maybe M3s to worry about and that's about it.

lol he doesn't give 2 $$$$ about a M1. You can do whatever you want I guarantee you 1 year from today he won't remember you so don't hype this up and stress yourself out. He has attendings, residents and at the bottom of the food chain maybe M3s to worry about and that's about it.
Haha that's actually really comforting, thank you.