Advice for my friend please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nolan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My friend has very very low undergrad GPA (~1.5) due to personal and family problems through out college. Now she wants to "start over" with eventual goal of going to pharm school.

She is not eligible for most of the post-bac problems, because
1. She was already a science major in college
2. Her GPA was too low

What do you think is the best way for her to "start over"? Would the easiest way just to take all the required science courses over ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Your friend would need to retake the prerequisites and do significantly better. Some pharmacy schools will only count the most recent grade in their prereq GPA calculation, and will use that as a major factor in their decision. So your friend is not in a hopeless situation. However, she will probably have to explain why there is such a discrepancy between her earlier and later grades, and the earlier grades may still be used to decide against admitting her--ESPECIALLY if her application raises any other questions.

By the way, how did your friend graduate with less than a 2.0?

i agree with samoa and have the same question. I don't think anyone can graduate at any college with less than 2.0gpa. Do you mean her science gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on when she took those courses, she might be just fine at some schools. Some only take the higer grade for a re-taken class and some will not count any science grade that is older than 5 years (I don't know when they graduated). So, they would have to re-take the pre-reqs and do well, probably get a nice PCAT thrown in there and if there is an essay, they might want to explain the discrepancies between grades. I don't think that all hope is lost. I had a 0.52 GPA my first semester of my freshman year in college, and I had a 3.6 my second semester. I got into school... These things happen sometimes!

Jd

Thank you so much for all your inputs. Now I think about it, I don't know how she still manages to graduate with less than 2.0GPA. I think her science GPA is below 2.0, but she probably was still able to pull her overall GPA above 2.0. I don't know anything about the pharm path, so I will definitely pass the info to her.