Advice for my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbeyer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Jonathan and up until about 3 months ago I was planning on medical school, familial pressures and such. But with that realization I thought about what classes I've enjoyed and the answer was pschology. I would like to become a therapist.
I have about 8 credits to complete before I get my B.S in neurobiology and physiology from the university of Maryland college park. I will be graduating with a 3.2, hopefully depending on my final semester grades.
I'm trying to figure out my options and timeline and I needed some help.

I will be graduating in December of 2010. I don't have many psychology classes due to it being a limited enrollment program. This summer I'm going to be taking a social psychology class and in the fall a memory and cognition class.
I've realized that my gpa isn't good enough for a phd program so I'm going to go to a masters program first. I live in the dc metro area and I would like to stay in the area. I have not started studying for the gre. What is the best time line/ schedule for me. When to apply? Take the gre? ... And any other questions I can't think of ...
I am looking forward for all your answers
Jonathan.

Members don't see this ad.

There are terminal master degree programs you can do to become a therapist/counselor.
Most are 2 years and include internships.
Such programs lead to licensure as:
Mental health counselor/therapists, family therapists, art/musik/drama therapists

Once you get your degree, you can sit for the exams after a certain number of hours are done. Depends on your state.

Look at the grad schools and they list pre-reqs.
such are abnormal psych, theories of personality and developmental psych.
Some schools want a BA in psych, whereas others only a BA with the pre-reqs.
See what they are then maybe switch to those pre-reqs for summer courses?

Maybe you can volunteer at a mental health agency for some experience.

Sometimes grad schools will conditionally accept you while you are doing the pre-reqs.
This, of course, is for Masters.
If you are hell-bent on PHd or Psy D then that is different.

what type of research exp do you have?

and are you actually going into the field because you want to or because you realized your 3.2 is a huge red flag to med schools? I'm not trying to be rude, just honest.