Advice for New Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackedUp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The class of 2012 is set to start residency in a little over two weeks and some are starting orientation soon.

My question for the current residents are what can we do to prepare ourselves for the lifestyle change? and specifically in retrospect is there something you would have done differently?

My question for the attendings are what is it about a new resident that drives you crazy?or what do you find commonly that new residents are lacking?

Good Luck to the Class of 2012.

Members don't see this ad.

The class of 2012 is set to start residency in a little over two weeks and some are starting orientation soon.

My question for the current residents are what can we do to prepare ourselves for the lifestyle change? and specifically in retrospect is there something you would have done differently?

My question for the attendings are what is it about a new resident that drives you crazy?or what do you find commonly that new residents are lacking?

Good Luck to the Class of 2012.

1) One thing that upsets me with residents is that they often are there to do the surgery but nothing more. Our group performs the most amount of foot/ankle surgery at a local hospital, and the residents scrub on cases but NEVER take the time to come to our office (or any of the other attendings) to see post op results. We are not asking the residents to come to the office to do scut work. When residents have come in the past, they simply observe. They aren't asked to remove/change dressings, remove sutures, casts, etc. We just believe it's important to see what "normal" post op actually looks like. Their observation ends when they break scrub.
We invite them to look at pre and post op xrays on their own. They can access the computer and look at the digital images. But this rarely occurs, and I believe they are missing out on a major part of their education. BTW, this is a VERY well known, high power residency program.

2) Residents who simply do things out of habit, rather than understanding why something should be done a certain way also upsets me. Many times I will observe a resident doing "something" during a case and they can't always explain WHY they are doing it, just that "it's the way I've seen it done".

3) No interaction with the patient. Yes, it's my patient and not a clinic patient, but it would be nice to have some interaction with the patient and not just be a cold bystander. I don't expect the resident to answer questions or do anything uncomfortable. But it would be nice to have some personality while dealing with a patient.

Things I really dislike;

4) Residents who do it "one way" and arent' willing to learn new techniques.

5) Residents who bring up another doctor's name while in "my" O.R. I would not expect the resident to bring up my name in another O.R., so I don't want another doctor being discussed in my O.R.

6) Residents who treat ancillary staff, nurses, techs, etc., as though they are higher up on the ladder. It's a team and I don't like attitude.

7) Residents who don't laugh at my jokes.

8) Residents who count my money.

9) Residents who walk around with a stethocope around their neck.

10) Residents who think I actually know the name of every classification, for every disorder ever described.

11) Residents who don't know who to spell properly.

12) Residents who think I can actually remember the entire Kreb's cycle.

13) Residents who don't say "thank you" when appropriate.

14) Residents who are early in training and bad mouth other attendings.

15) Residents who don't have an index card for me after the case with a patient sticker on the card and a description of the procedure AND the patient's phone number (I call all my patients that night to check how the patient is doing).

16) Residents who are blatant ass kissers.

17) Residents who tell me what a radiology report said, but never actually looked at the films.

Well, that's a start........

anybody else thankful for not going through PADPM'S program?

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody else thankful for not going through PADPM'S program?

Believe me, you'd be VERY happy if you were in "my" program (I no longer am a residency program director due to the time commitment).

I have ALWAYS had an excellent rapport with residents I train, and I've got a wall full of plaques to verify that fact.

If you actually took the time to read my first post, the majority of it was tongue-in-cheek. So judging on YOUR post, I should expect that:

1) you will be complacent doing the surgery, but not interested in follow up

2) you will do things out of habit, and not understand the reason for your actions.

3) you will have no personality when it comes to patients and will have no interaction with the patients.

4) you don't want to learn new techniques

5) you will talk about Dr. X in Dr. Z's O.R. (poor O.R. etiquette)

6) you will be a pompous ass and treat O.R. staff and hospital staff like crap

7) you will actually laugh at some of my bad jokes

8) you will be more concerned about how much money each doctor makes instead of learning.

9) you will walk around with a stethoscope around your neck for foot/ankle cases, even though the surgical residents, ortho residents, urology residents, vascular fellows, etc., DON'T walk around with stethoscopes.

10) You will be impressed when I know everything about everything

11) you will spell things wrong and make yourself look like an idiot

12) you will get tired of me constantly reciting the Kreb's cycle

13) you will be rude to your attendings and never thank them

14) you will constantly walk around bad-mouthing attendings

15) you will not use index cards to remember patient's, medical record numbers, procedures performed, etc., etc. because it's too "old school".

16) you will be a major kiss-ass

17) you will base your surgical procedure on a radiology report and never look at the films to make sure the report is accurate.

Wow, you're gonna make a fantastic resident.

So before you bust my balls, look over the list I originally wrote and see if there is ANYTHING unreasonable. Pick and choose your battles with me.

Listen I don't agree or like every attending I meet in life, but at least I have the good sense to practice common courtesy. What the heck is wrong with you? You're a PRE-health student with an agenda against podiatrists. Almost every single post you make is derogatory and filled with expletives. How did you get anywhere in life being this disrespectful and insulting to others, let alone your elders?

Edit: And none of those bullet points listed are outrageous or unexpected. I'm not kissing ass or sucking up. We've already lost one good mod to internet-tough guys like this. Let's not lose any more please.

Last edited:
believe me, if you're one of the main attendings, I WONT be happy to be at your program. Just by judging the way you act on Student Doctor Network, you seem like the most analed podiatrist to ever walk on this planet.:thumbdown:

LOL if you think PADPM is picky and "anal" then just wait till you actually meet someone strict in the hospital. You will run home crying (or you'll get suspended if you act like you do on SDN).

I think you're in for a rude awakening if you decide to go into healthcare. Believe it or not you will be working under many people you don't like or agree with. You will meet nurses who look down on you, other doctors who treat you like their scut-monkeys, etc. If you can't bite your tongue and don't know how to at least feign respect towards others, you won't get far at all. In fact you won't get anywhere.

Last edited:
If you can't bite your tongue and don't know how to at least feign respect towards others, you won't get far at all. In fact you won't get anywhere.
Love it! "Feign respect." I won't, but I'm not surprised at all that you'll choose that road much more traveled. You'll go far!

Me? - I'll look up and down streets. Look 'em over with care. About some I will say, "I don't choose to go there."

-Big-O

There's no point arguing with someone who just wants to watch the world burn. I'm out before the :lock:

Why don't you take the f*cking MCAT before you start disrespecting attendings who have been in the medical field for many years and have worked extremely hard to get where they are today? Your attitude disgusts me, good luck going far in medicine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you take the f*cking MCAT before you start disrespecting attendings who have been in the medical field for many years and have worked extremely hard to get where they are today? Your attitude disgusts me, good luck going far in medicine.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

How is Organically still not banned? :laugh:

believe me, if you're one of the main attendings, I WONT be happy to be at your program. Just by judging the way you act on Student Doctor Network, you seem like the most analed podiatrist to ever walk on this planet.:thumbdown:

You are clueless. So just what is it about my originally post that turned you off so much??? Would you rather be the resident in my 2nd post?

You've got a lot to learn.....a LOT.

:lock: this thread up mods. It once had great potential but that potential is lost.

I've met attendings who were way more anal than PADPM, others who are more laid back. Most of his points are for the residents' benefit.

Who the hell are you and who says that to anyone?????

You must think really highly of yourself to try to cyber bully someone like that. Not enough people in your life to bully around that you have to come online and do it?

I've been following this site for a long time and just today chose to join just to answer this thread and your post. My SDN name is in your honor.

Are you for real??

To answer your statement...or what?? Your going to find out who I am and tell on me??

And a Mod!!! Grow up and stop being such an a-hole would u?

I love these posts. You've followed this site for a long time, but NOW decide to grow some stones and chime in.

Cyber bully? That's a joke. I listed an honest and reasonable list to help train residents, something I've done successfully for over 20+ years.

As far as one of your brilliant questions "or what? Your (the REAL word is you're) going to find out who I am and tell on me??" When I stated "pick and choose your battles", there was no threat, it was simply a statement. Why did YOU feel so threatened by a simple comment. And ironically, yes sometimes you never know who you are dealing with on this site, and it just so happens that a former poster revealed a little too much about himself on this site. And lo and behold who walked into the room to interview him for a residency slot??? I did.

However, I simply walked out and told my colleagues that someone else should interview him and dismissed myself from the process. But if I was vindictive, it could have been ugly.

I've been around the profession a long time and know a lot of people in many capacities in this profession. On more than one instance I've encountered someone from this site, though I personally would not act on any prior negative comments. I fully realize that people like you become very brave on the internet.

Before you go ballistic, understand that I have nothing to gain on this site. I've been there and I've done that and I've made my share of mistakes. I'm attempting to give honest answers to questions based on my experiences. And I'm very secure with what I've achieved/accomplished.

So no, there was no threat, I simply told the poster a very common sense comment, pick and choose your battles. No threat, just some experienced advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.