Advice for new Walgreens Market Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apotheker2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just accepted a Market Pharmacist position with Walgreens and have a questions for those who are currently with Walgreens. I actually see myself floating and picking up extra shifts FOREVER. Looking forward to that.

1. Do they pay for mileage out of petty cash; i.e., not on your paycheck? Walmart would just give us cash.

2. Any advice on workflows?

3. I welcome any advice you may have.

4. What's Walgreens premium rate for working >40 hours per week? (Is it more than 40?

Thank you in advance!

Apotheker2015

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I heard Walgreen pays anything over 30 miles one way, so deduct 60 miles out of your total commute. Not sure, how true that is...

Just ask your DM/scheduler. They should know.

It should not matter how they reimburse you: pay check or cash. It's still not taxable.

I heard Walgreen pays anything over 30 miles one way, so deduct 60 miles out of your total commute. Not sure, how true that is...

Just ask your DM/scheduler. They should know.

It should not matter how they reimburse you: pay check or cash. It's still not taxable.

Cool! Thank you! Good to know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of the 2.5 years that I floated for them, I was reimbursed for mileage once... maybe twice. Call me unassertive, but it ended up being a several decades-long career for me with good colleagues that I still keep in touch with.

As for workflow, listen to the head tech on how to handle their particular store. If they have no clue, take charge yourself. Join the local WAG FB groups for networking. Best of luck. (Be BFF's with the scheduler.)

Reactions: 1 users
Out of the 2.5 years that I floated for them, I was reimbursed for mileage once... maybe twice. Call me unassertive, but it ended up being a several decades-long career for me with good colleagues that I still keep in touch with.

As for workflow, listen to the head tech on how to handle their particular store. If they have no clue, take charge yourself. Join the local WAG FB groups for networking. Best of luck. (Be BFF's with the scheduler.)

Good to know! I plan on working beyond my 40 hours. Will remain flexible and steer clear off store drama.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what Walgreens premium rate is? It was $3 dollars more per hour at Walmart if you work more than 40 hours.

Hi all,

I just accepted a Market Pharmacist position with Walgreens and have a questions for those who are currently with Walgreens. I actually see myself floating and picking up extra shifts FOREVER. Looking forward to that.

1. Do they pay for mileage out of petty cash; i.e., not on your paycheck? Walmart would just give us cash.

2. Any advice on workflows?

3. I welcome any advice you may have.

4. What's Walgreens premium rate for working >40 hours per week? (Is it more than 40?

Thank you in advance!

Apotheker2015
they pay you for every mile over 50 miles from your home store. not sure what the rate is though. Premium rate is called B rate and it's your hourly rate plus 5 dollars

Good to know! I plan on working beyond my 40 hours. Will remain flexible and steer clear off store drama.
You're not gonna get pass 80 hours. If you're in Cali of course things may be different. Anywhere on the east coast and you won't get any premium unless more than 80 per pay period and no one is getting OT. A bunch of floaters in my district aren't even hitting 40/week consistently.

A bunch of floaters here getting 0-8h/w in SD lol. They don't give a sheet if they are over hiring, they just need a big list of bodies to be in the roster.

A bunch of floaters here getting 0-8h/w in SD lol. They don't give a sheet if they are over hiring, they just need a big list of bodies to be in the roster.

Every area is different. I got 40 hours/week guaranteed.

You're not gonna get pass 80 hours. If you're in Cali of course things may be different. Anywhere on the east coast and you won't get any premium unless more than 80 per pay period and no one is getting OT. A bunch of floaters in my district aren't even hitting 40/week consistently.

I started in December on the west coast and have been getting 40 hours or more so far every pay period

Mileage is only paid out over 100miles round trip and they just add it to your check. "B rate" varies based on youe market. I know for sure some are +10 and some are +5.

My area is not as saturated as some but i had no problem getting well over 40/week as a floater.

Mileage is only paid out over 100miles round trip and they just add it to your check. "B rate" varies based on youe market. I know for sure some are +10 and some are +5.

My area is not as saturated as some but i had no problem getting well over 40/week as a floater.

Thank you for chiming in! That's good to know! We have long harsh winters and that's when most pharmacists schedule their time off. I do not think it will be a problem to pick up an additional shift or two every week.

Thank you!

Apotheker2015