Advice for Next Semester Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omega_703

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
O.Chem is not easy and you will have to work hard. A lot of pre-med students take Physics and O.Chem at the same time. It just depends on your ability to handle the work because Physics is no walk in the park either, although it is easier than O.Chem to me. I am taking Physics right now (junior year) and took O.Chem last year.

what major are you? if you're good at math, physics and o-chem should be doable.
for me it would be that plant diversity one that's hard.. haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally depends on you. I took Physics I 1st semester and it tore me up. I'm taking O.1 in my 4th semester, and so far, it hasn't been bad. But then again, the professor is a thousand times better than the Physics prof I had, and it really seems like she wants students to do well in the class (as opposed to the other b*stard). So go with your gut.

I took OChem I and Physics II in the same semester and it was fine (got As in both classes). I would worry more about Calc III. When I took Calc III it tore me a new one. Be careful taking that and OChem in the same semester.

In order to do well in physics you must do 2 things 1) understand the concepts fully (you cannot be dubious on anything, understand it fully. 2) practice questions.

Do not read the textbook as the textbook digresses way too much. I recommend through a combination of your professor's notes, textbook questions, solutions manual, and a review book (Nova's physics book is very good for getting the physics and math into your head), you should do well.

I think the biggest thing that it comes down to is how much time you have. You can do 3 sciences, but how much time will you have for extracurricular things, and some free time, and maximizing your ability in each class. Thus, you'll have to be very organized by the start of next year and have strong time management skills (which should be strengthened by the freshmen year).

So yeah that's my
2cents_800.jpg

In Fall 2006 I am also thinking of taking a heavy load.

Orgo 1 w/Lab (5)
Physics w/o calc w/Lab (5)
Calc 1 (4)

and maybe Ecology (3)

Thats 17 credits, I've never taken more than 13, I want to take more to show ADCOMs that I can handle a load but I dont want to take those classes and then do bad in them. Most likely I will take 14 credits and then take Ecology in the Spring who knows. Any advice, should i take it, I know its really up to me and whether I cant do it but I just wanted some input.

Doctormo24 said:
In Fall 2006 I am also thinking of taking a heavy load.

Orgo 1 w/Lab (5)
Physics w/o calc w/Lab (5)
Calc 1 (4)

and maybe Ecology (3)

Thats 17 credits, I've never taken more than 13, I want to take more to show ADCOMs that I can handle a load but I dont want to take those classes and then do bad in them. Most likely I will take 14 credits and then take Ecology in the Spring who knows. Any advice, should i take it, I know its really up to me and whether I cant do it but I just wanted some input.

Again, it totally depends on you. One semester, I took 28 credits (eventually had to drop down to 24 near the end of the semester), plus a job and a p.e. class. But I was interested in the classes, and I really wanted to raise my GPA (which I did), so it turned out very well in the end. You shouldn't worry about 'showing the ADCOMS' anything - just do your best, no matter how many or few classes you take. Looking at your schedule, I wouldn't do it, but that's because I struggled when I had physics and calc together in my 1st semester. So it depends on your strengths.

That said, never back down from a challenge. I'm taking 24 this semester (didn't want to push it again), and I'm bored out of my skull. It's really up to you. :thumbsup

I really appreciate everyone's advice. :laugh:

I think I'll go with my plan. I'm pretty comfortable with math (earned AP Calculus credits) and learning quantitative aspects of science usually come easily for me.

I'm a Biology major, btw. I really enjoy biology, but it seems I'm better in chemistry and math.

I think you certainly COULD struggle through that schedule, but there is one more factor that nobody has mentioned yet - the MCAT. I would try to take your MCAT IMMEDIATELY after physics (not as much OChem on the MCAT). SO - you may want to consider knocking out a few bio classes instead of the physics, and take that physics series next year so you are fresh and ready in April for the MCAT.

Use that semester as a sort of litmus test. The course load in MS1 and MS2 will be much more difficult than this so it is good to know what you are getting yourself into. Try to challenge yourself and see how much you can handle, you may be surprised at how much more you get through than you would think. Do not do this at the expense of your GPA/Grades however.

wildcatbio06 said:
Use that semester as a sort of litmus test. The course load in MS1 and MS2 will be much more difficult than this so it is good to know what you are getting yourself into. Try to challenge yourself and see how much you can handle, you may be surprised at how much more you get through than you would think. Do not do this at the expense of your GPA/Grades however.
very good advice, that's my whole strategy.

That's 17 credits. If you're worried, you could take 14 instead. I always took 15 per semester and it worked out well.