Advice for non-OBC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavaor

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start intern year. Due to scheduling, I was unable to do OBC prior to residency. Are there any specifics that I should know about which you may have learned in OBC?

Members don't see this ad.

Find someone who knows their stuff to square you away vis-a-vis your uniform and appearance. Here in milmed, we're not exactly the beacons of military discipline, but you don't want to show up on the first day with your uniform all ate up and your hair all shaggy. Everything else you can pick up along the way, but at least this way you'll look the part.

I've started drilling with my guard unit before I head to OBC this summer. A good NCOIC in my unit has been invaluable to keep me straight! Try to find one if you can.... Among many other things uniform and non-uniform related, he taught me the whole shave your beret, cut some of the cardboard out, and wet it down trick so I don't look like a brand new 2LT ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was unable to attend OBC because of my school's final exam schedule. I'd suggest reading through parts of the Army Officer's Guide and make sure you can recognize the various ranks on people's uniform so that you know the people to salute and address as sir on your first day. Identify someone who has been in the service a while longer and that you can trust your first day and divulge your cluelessness. That person will help you along while you are getting acclimated. The worst that is likely to happen is that you will mess up a detail of the uniform and an NCO will correct you. Accept all guidance you receive with humility and gratitude. If you were smart enough to navigate med school, then you ought to be able to figure out 95% of military customs on the fly without much of a problem. Drilling with a Guard unit is excessive in my opinion. If you enjoy spending your time that way, go for it. Oh- practice your salute in the mirror a few times until it feels natural to snap off a salute in the proper manner without thinking about it too much.

Wow, I didn't realize that OBC was "optional." I plan on going when (if:)) I graduate, but I cannot go before then due to my schools year round schedule. Is this going to be a problem with residency? Has anyone else gone to OBC post graduation and prior to residency?

Wow, I didn't realize that OBC was "optional." I plan on going when (if:)) I graduate, but I cannot go before then due to my schools year round schedule. Is this going to be a problem with residency? Has anyone else gone to OBC post graduation and prior to residency?

Expect to change those plans.

After a few years on active duty, you will apply for constructive credit in place of OBC. It helps if you can come up with some sort of "leadership" activity, like being on a committee, too.

The idea is that after a set amount of time on active duty, you will already have picked up on all the things you learn at OBC. This is one of the few times I've actually seen the Army have a sensible policy, because there is absolutely zero reason to send a specialty-trained BE/BC physician to OBC when they've already been on active duty for 3-6 years during residency.

I am about to start intern year. Due to scheduling, I was unable to do OBC prior to residency. Are there any specifics that I should know about which you may have learned in OBC?

Whatever you do, avoid the Meat Patty MRE. Pretty much only lesson I came away from OBC with.