Advice for non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xrayted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been interested in the medical field for quite some time, and have been reading this forum a lot lately. Basically I am a 25 year old, non-traditional student who is extremely interested in attending medical school. I wanted to let you guys know about my situation, and see what you guys think I should do to improve my chances (besides the obvious things).

I have obtained an AS degree in Radiologic Science and am 2 semesters away from completing my BS in Radiologic Science. I have taken BIO 1/2, AP 1/2, GEN CHEM 1/2, and ORG 1 (Currently enrolled). I received an A in all of the courses except a B in AP 2, with an overall GPA of 3.8.

Between degrees I worked 2.5 years full-time at an urgent care center, and performed every task possible (including suturing, I&D, etc.) I have recently joined the pre-medical club and begun volunteering at the YMCA. I also plan to start MCAT preparations this month and take the exam during April/May.

Besides the activities that I have listed is there any other advice anyone can give me, or any thoughts about my situation in general?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I have been interested in the medical field for quite some time, and have been reading this forum a lot lately. Basically I am a 25 year old, non-traditional student who is extremely interested in attending medical school. I wanted to let you guys know about my situation, and see what you guys think I should do to improve my chances (besides the obvious things).

I have obtained an AS degree in Radiologic Science and am 2 semesters away from completing my BS in Radiologic Science. I have taken BIO 1/2, AP 1/2, GEN CHEM 1/2, and ORG 1 (Currently enrolled). I received an A in all of the courses except a B in AP 2, with an overall GPA of 3.8.

Between degrees I worked 2.5 years full-time at an urgent care center, and performed every task possible (including suturing, I&D, etc.) I have recently joined the pre-medical club and begun volunteering at the YMCA. I also plan to start MCAT preparations this month and take the exam during April/May.

Besides the activities that I have listed is there any other advice anyone can give me, or any thoughts about my situation in general?

Thanks everyone!
Welcome to SDN!

Looking good in general. It might be superfluous considering your employment, but physician shadowing in a few specialties might help. Physics courses are planned, correct? You will want to complete physics I and II before taking the MCAT.

The only thing you are missing would be research if you want to attend a research-heavy school (top 20 or so). If you would like to keep those schools open as options (since your GPA is definitely good enough) I would reach out to professors in the sciences at your university and try to get some research experience.

Other than that you are in good shape. Let us know if you have any other questions!

I am enrolled for ORG2 and PHYS1 in the Spring, followed by PHYS2 in the first half of summer. I have approached my organic 1 professor about doing research which will begin late this semester or early spring semester.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I have obtained an AS degree in Radiologic Science . . .
Between degrees I worked 2.5 years full-time at an urgent care center, and performed every task possible (including suturing, I&D, etc.)

Forgive me for going somewhat off topic here, but I was under the impression that this would be illegal. Can anybody verify or correct that? I'm aware that some people allow stuff to be done by people who shouldn't be doing it, but none of that is kosher, right?

Xrayted, the reason I only call this just somewhat off topic is that if it is illegal, you may not want to mention it in the course of applying to schools, asking for LORs, seeking volunteer jobs, etc.

Forgive me for going somewhat off topic here, but I was under the impression that this would be illegal. Can anybody verify or correct that? I'm aware that some people allow stuff to be done by people who shouldn't be doing it, but none of that is kosher, right?

Xrayted, the reason I only call this just somewhat off topic is that if it is illegal, you may not want to mention it in the course of applying to schools, asking for LORs, seeking volunteer jobs, etc.

No offense taken at all pietachok. Any procedures I was involved in was always under direct supervision (MD/DO/PA). Do you still think this could pose a legality issue? I was under the impression that if 5 different providers were allowing it, then it would be considered acceptable (not a good assumption). I know the military is a different world all together but would a former corpsman not be able to put similar experiences on a resume? I understand they may abide by different rules, just asking your opinion.

Thanks again

I don't know the legality & definitely have no clue as to how/if it's different in the military. Sorry, but I wouldn't think it ethical either, even if it weren't illegal...I mean, who would volunteer to let someone without relevant training or education do a surgical procedure? But, my gut response probably doesn't matter. Informed consents technically subject patients to a lot of potentially unsavory practices.

Last edited:
I'm a non-trad about the same age going through the application process, so far, sounds like you are on the right track and have good experiences. Just do well on the MCAT and you'll be in a good spot. I definitely feel being a non-trad is an advantage.