advice for pathetic situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hideandseek

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am someone who has been considering a pre-med track for a while but has never taken it seriously. I am sttarting my second semester as a junior and have realized I really do want to go to med school as where before, I was just taking premed requirements for the heck of it. Up until this point, I was delusional and assumed getting A's was as easy as just saying 'I am going to get an A'. Even after failing or barely passing many of my classes, I've finally realized that I actually need to work hard to get an A and also need As to get into Med School.
Believe me, I know I have less than zero chances of getting into Med School with my GPA which is in the 2.1 to 2.3 range. The highest I have received in a science class is a B- and the rests are Cs and even a total of 3 F's.
The thing is, is that I want to ACTUALLY go to med school now and not just take the pre-med requirements for the heck of it as I was doing before.

If I retake most of my science classes, ace them and do well in the remaining of my classes as I have about a year to a year and a half left before I can graduate from Undergrad, and do amazing on the MCATS, do I have a chance of getting into any Med School at all, DO or MD.

I know my case is hopeless at this point but I want to know if my retaking the science classes and maintaining a 4.0 GPA from this point onward will actually even affect the massacre I've done to my GPA already.

Advice is seriously needed and would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am someone who has been considering a pre-med track for a while but has never taken it seriously. I am sttarting my second semester as a junior and have realized I really do want to go to med school as where before, I was just taking premed requirements for the heck of it. Up until this point, I was delusional and assumed getting A's was as easy as just saying 'I am going to get an A'. Even after failing or barely passing many of my classes, I've finally realized that I actually need to work hard to get an A and also need As to get into Med School.
Believe me, I know I have less than zero chances of getting into Med School with my GPA which is in the 2.1 to 2.3 range. The highest I have received in a science class is a B- and the rests are Cs and even a total of 3 F's.
The thing is, is that I want to ACTUALLY go to med school now and not just take the pre-med requirements for the heck of it as I was doing before.

If I retake most of my science classes, ace them and do well in the remaining of my classes as I have about a year to a year and a half left before I can graduate from Undergrad, and do amazing on the MCATS, do I have a chance of getting into any Med School at all, DO or MD.

I know my case is hopeless at this point but I want to know if my retaking the science classes and maintaining a 4.0 GPA from this point onward will actually even affect the massacre I've done to my GPA already.

Thank you.

You should definitely think about retaking those failed classes, and maybe even those C classes. That will probably not bring your gpa up to really competitive range. However, if you are a URM(i.e. black, hispanic, native american), you might have a chance. Either way, for an MD, you will need to improve your EC's, maybe do a little research, volunteer, etc.

For now, i'd say DO is your most straightforward and quickest way for you to go. DO schools will count the grade you get from retaking the class, while MD will average them. This will definitely help you.

Retake any sciences below a B (normally a couple C's wouldnt be a huge deal but in your case you need to bring up your GPA as much as possible AND show you care). Then do some post-bacc work or a masters. Also get as much clinical experience as you can (doesnt have to be tons of different stuff, just pick things you like and stick with them), probably should do some research, etc. Your app is going to have to really stand out somehow cause your gpa will be a huge drawback. Give them a reason to take a closer look.

Also, i agree DO is a good option because of how they count your grades.

Thank you.

DO will be your best bet SIMPLY because they practice 'grade forgiveness' which means only the most recent grade is counted towards your gpa (and I don't think I have to explain how much better an A counts compared to an F+A/2). I also think that if you do perform 'amazingly' on the MCAT (no s) you should look into a Post-Bacc to show medical schools you can handle hardcore sciences. Best of luck.