Advice for Preparing for the August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemgirl27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I took the April MCAT and I'm going to be retaking it in August to boost up my Verbal score. I've been reading these threads and everyone has been saying that the EK101 verbal passages is the best way to prepare for Verbal. Well, I used EK 101 Passages in Verbal when studying for the April MCAT and I don't think that it helped me much because my scores on the actual practice exams were much higher than my actual score. Also, the passages to me seemed so much more interesting and the questions were in my opinion more detailed based rather than abstract. So, I borrowed the Princeton Review Verbal workbook off of a friend of mine who took the PR class, but I've been reading that TPR verbal passages are not indicative of the real MCAT, so now I don't know what to do in terms of practicing Verbal. I do plan on taking the AAMC MCATs under real test taking conditions but I need something to help me practice verbal each day. Can anyone help me...I'm not sure what to do :(

Members don't see this ad.

Chemgirl27 said:
Hey guys,
I took the April MCAT and I'm going to be retaking it in August to boost up my Verbal score. I've been reading these threads and everyone has been saying that the EK101 verbal passages is the best way to prepare for Verbal. Well, I used EK 101 Passages in Verbal when studying for the April MCAT and I don't think that it helped me much because my scores on the actual practice exams were much higher than my actual score. Also, the passages to me seemed so much more interesting and the questions were in my opinion more detailed based rather than abstract. So, I borrowed the Princeton Review Verbal workbook off of a friend of mine who took the PR class, but I've been reading that TPR verbal passages are not indicative of the real MCAT, so now I don't know what to do in terms of practicing Verbal. I do plan on taking the AAMC MCATs under real test taking conditions but I need something to help me practice verbal each day. Can anyone help me...I'm not sure what to do :(

I felt Kaplan's verbal materials were close to the real test.

HunterGatherer said:
kaplan's verbal passges are more academic than EK's. None of the interesting prostitutes and "how to" passages in kaplan. The questions are not as good as EK in my opinion.

Okay thanks...so do you think it would be helpful to go back and redo the EK 101 passages in addition to doing other verbal passages like Kaplan and/or TPR?

Chemgirl27 said:
Okay thanks...so do you think it would be helpful to go back and redo the EK 101 passages in addition to doing other verbal passages like Kaplan and/or TPR?
yes and yes.
if you find that you are remembering the EK verbal main ideas and questions then ditch them. I did not remember them though. kaplan full length verbal exams are not hard to find.