Advice for prepharm student who works part time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rrc16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a Pre-pharm/Biochemistry major and I've been struggling with my classes. I haven't made any D's or F's but I am making low C's and this concerns me. I'm starting to think I'm not competent enough for this major or to become a pharmacist. I work at UPS part time but the hours are nearly full time hours. I usually work from 4pm to 9:30 pm everyday. I really want to become a pharmacist but working part time and going to school full time is taking a toll on me, and I'm not sure what to do. What are some tips or study strategies you guys suggest to make better grades while working part time? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would cut those hrs of work because that sounds like a fulltime job. I dont know bills need to be paid but if you try to sacrifice your time on school, you will be rewarded later, its an investment! Thats major you are taking needs a lot of time dedicated to mastering the concepts and with a fulltme job that will not be easy.. So change something to boost those grades..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hi. I'm a Pre-pharm/Biochemistry major and I've been struggling with my classes. I haven't made any D's or F's but I am making low C's and this concerns me. I'm starting to think I'm not competent enough for this major or to become a pharmacist. I work at UPS part time but the hours are nearly full time hours. I usually work from 4pm to 9:30 pm everyday. I really want to become a pharmacist but working part time and going to school full time is taking a toll on me, and I'm not sure what to do. What are some tips or study strategies you guys suggest to make better grades while working part time? Thanks.

If you live on campus, just go down in hours.

If you live off campus then I can see why going down in hours isn't ideal. I was getting a lot of c's when I was working 11-7 overnight. I'm sorry to say You really have to go down in hours, either school-wise or work-wise. What I did was talk to my manager first and see if I could work long shifts 2-3 days out of the week so I could have the other 4-5 days for school and studying. Three 10-12 hour shifts sound bad at first but you'll have 4 days to dedicate to school. My grades improved after that. I also made a habit of staying at school. If I had 2/3 hours between classes, I went straight to the library instead of going home. Going home meant I was going to sleep no matter how hard I fought it. If I had to go to work at 5pm I was at school from 8am to 4:40pm.

You'll be taking 18+ credit hours in pharm school, so they want to see that you can handle the hours in undergrad. But they also understand those that can't take as many hours due to work (atleast that's what they told me since I'm a non-trad) Just know that if you go down in hours at school, you'd have to make As and nothing less.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd quit and try to find a job in pharmacy. Working for UPS doesn't really translate at all to pharmacy school other than showing you can retain employment. I'm sure you'd probably make more money as a technician which would allow you to work less hours, make hopefully the same amount of money, and gain real world experience that actually pertains to the field you are choosing to enter.

Reactions: 1 user
Idk I work full time as a tech, have a 3.97 GPA and got a 97 comp on the PCAT. So I mean you're probably fine but not everyone is cut out for this

Idk I work full time as a tech, have a 3.97 GPA and got a 97 comp on the PCAT. So I mean you're probably fine but not everyone is cut out for this

You also got that score without taking ochem. You are an exception. Not everyone is cut out for it true, but not everyone can get good grades without putting in a ton of effort.

Reactions: 1 users