Advice for Private Practice Physician going on privileges interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InnerCityQueens

Reaction score
Hello. I am long time reader and first time poster.
I have graduated from IM and another subspecialty (Nephrology) one year prior and I have been taking a gap year doing some traveling and also setting up a private practice from scratch. My outpatient side is set up and I intend to practice primary care medicine predominantly and also manage nephrology related issues (though I will primarily be IM) along with all of my insurance carriers and I had been under an affiliate status with a local hospital. I have requested for updated privileges including admission privileges and consulting privileges (as well as HD / TPN / CRRT / temporary HDC / renal biopsy - though I admit as a "private" I may not have the time to do the latter two too often) and I have a meeting with the Chairperson (a man in this case) of the Department of Medicine later this month. Since this is the first time I am doing this, I just wanted to ask what kind of meeting? Is it an interview that I need to dress and impress for? Do I just discuss what privileges I am seeking? Your advice will be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yup. It's an old school approach that a few places still do. I have privileges at 9 hospitals in town and one of them (which just barely qualifies as not critical access) still does this. Except you meet with the whole credentialing committee. They want to "get to know you" which is totally possible in 15 minutes.

You may have to explain or at least talk about what you’ve been doing for the gap year. Don’t think they’re looking for anything specific, probably just don’t want to miss anything glaring.... ex. Six months in rehab or mental health facility?