Advice for pursuing a Psychiatry Residency after Family Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PPGMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need some advice pursuing a second residency in Psych in 2014 after I complete my FM training. My situation is rather unique I think so let me explain. In 2010 I started a residency in Psych but left after 2 months on good terms to pursue a combined residency program. I was always torn between FM/Psych. I matched at a program that I thought had a combined FM/Psych program but the funding was pulled when I got there. I tried my best to get the program reinstituted but GME politics is tough to crack sometimes. In any event, I am now left to find a second program to complete my Psych training. My goal is to try to stay where I am to complete my Psych training but as it would turn out - my wife who is also a PGY2 in my program - is expecting. I am from NYC so I am also contemplating moving back to the tri state area to complete Psych.

I need some sound advice on how best to approach this.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,

I need some advice pursuing a second residency in Psych in 2014 after I complete my FM training. My situation is rather unique I think so let me explain. In 2010 I started a residency in Psych but left after 2 months on good terms to pursue a combined residency program. I was always torn between FM/Psych. I matched at a program that I thought had a combined FM/Psych program but the funding was pulled when I got there. I tried my best to get the program reinstituted but GME politics is tough to crack sometimes. In any event, I am now left to find a second program to complete my Psych training. My goal is to try to stay where I am to complete my Psych training but as it would turn out - my wife who is also a PGY2 in my program - is expecting. I am from NYC so I am also contemplating moving back to the tri state area to complete Psych.

I need some sound advice on how best to approach this.

Thanks in advance.

Ummm, Im not sure what the question is or what your concerns are. There isn't any reason you wouldnt be a good candidate to match at most psych programs, and having already done family medicine won't hurt you. Furthermore, you really don't have any unusual 'explaining' to do....just say you realized you want to do psychiatry.

HI there, I am in the same position except in reverse. I wanted to do a combined residency but I liked one of the programs that didnt have one, so completed my psychiatry residency there. I then contacted some family programs which were very positive but thought I would give psychiatry a shot and I am 7 months into a new job which I like but would still like to pursue family medicine or internal medicine. I am thinking of opening a rehab/addiction/pain clinic and having the two disciplines would allow me to be independent in a multitude of ways. I also like the variety.

I am going to try and shadow a family doc to update my skills, reassess my motivation and also get letter(s) for applications. I may reapply again this fall if shadowing works out.

I asked several fam med program directors and they gave a pretty consistent response and in your position, I could recommend that:

I think it mainly requires obtaining at least one recommendation letter from a psychiatrist and going through the ERAS/match process again. There are so many psych programs that I think you can find one.

The other issue is funding for medicare which puts provisions on completing multiple residencies but I think that shouldnt be a major issue, depending on the program. Private/Va programs are often self funded and need the cheaper work force. You may only need to do 3 years of psych residency given you intern year.

The programs told me having a psych background would be greeatly appreciated and I think the same in reverse for you too!

PLease let me know how it works out!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can speak from a bit of experience on this, and this will sound harsh and blunt: one of you needs to stop work/school. If your wife isn't willing to, and since you're now out of residency, it's something to think about for yourself. Take a developmental psychology course if you're not convinced of the importance of your child having one primary caregiver be consistently available. Good luck!

I will keep you posted with how this all goes. Thanks for the support and input.