Advice for Raising a GPA Post-Masters???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StuTheDentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am looking for some advice on taking classes after completing a Master's. Here is my situation:

I got my Master's in Biomedical Science last year and graduated with a 3.25. I went for my Master's because my undergrad grades were low (overall GPA about 2.85 and science GPA slightly lower). I took my DAT last summer scoring a 20AA, 21TS, 19PAT. I have a ton of experience in the dental field including interning and shadowing at two practices, dental assisting, years of working as a dental technician, and oral biology research.

Unfortunately, the 3.25 graduate GPA doesn't seem to be high enough because I've applied twice with no interviews or acceptances. I spoke with a few schools after being rejected during the last cycle to find out what was holding me back. All of them said that due to my low undergrad GPA, my graduate GPA should be higher.

At this point, I am wondering what else I can do in terms of classes/programs to improve my chances of being accepted now that I have completed my Master's. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I am looking for some advice on taking classes after completing a Master's. Here is my situation:

I got my Master's in Biomedical Science last year and graduated with a 3.25. I went for my Master's because my undergrad grades were low (overall GPA about 2.85 and science GPA slightly lower). I took my DAT last summer scoring a 20AA, 21TS, 19PAT. I have a ton of experience in the dental field including interning and shadowing at two practices, dental assisting, years of working as a dental technician, and oral biology research.

Unfortunately, the 3.25 graduate GPA doesn't seem to be high enough because I've applied twice with no interviews or acceptances. I spoke with a few schools after being rejected during the last cycle to find out what was holding me back. All of them said that due to my low undergrad GPA, my graduate GPA should be higher.

At this point, I am wondering what else I can do in terms of classes/programs to improve my chances of being accepted now that I have completed my Master's. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

oooo a 3.25 in a Master's program is rough. I would suggest seeking another degree, like a PhD. Or do more Master's level work. This was your chance to show you could handle a rigorous course load..and unfortunately a 3.25 shows you can't. Even if you continue to do more post-bacc work, your Master's is very low and makes them question your ability to succeed in dental school. So do a PhD and rock it out of the water, and you'll be good to go!

this is difficult.... bad undergrad, and not high enough masters.

I would guess maybe a 2nd masters? or a cheaper (and much harder) option is DAT destruction (25+).

OR.... an SMP, but you have to do well. SMP has shown promising results with the few students who were crazy enough to enroll and do very well.

:)Seems this is a good program for under 3 GPA as in my case. I know western U. Dental school is fairly new.

http://www.westernu.edu/biomedical-sciences-welcome
copied from this website:.‘MSMS Program:. Our newest program in the GCBS is the Master of Sciences in Medical Sciences (MSMS) Program. This program will prepare qualified pre-health professional students who have obtained a baccalaureate degree in a rigorous inter-professional environment for successful application to professional programs, both external and internal. We are particularly interested in a broad application pool for this program and are welcoming applications from members of groups underrepresented in the health professions.’:)