Advice for re-applying with 3.9 GPA and retaking MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alcat17

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new on here, but I was recently was rejected from two good MD schools after interviewing. I have a good GPA (3.9), but my MCAT was only a 499 (49th percentile). I plan on re-applying right away this next cycle and I am retaking the MCAT in June. Does anyone have any other advice for me? Keep working and volunteer more as I prepare for the MCAt? I work as a scribe in an ED and I have plenty of shadowing and volunteer hours. I am using a tutor to study for the MCAT this time, and I think that should help a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All of what you've already said: keep up your volunteering/clinical exposure and really put some effort into your essays (PS and secondaries) because they do matter!
It sounds like you've got the right idea: rock the MCAT and show your passion for medicine through your ECs and the rest of your application.
Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
All of what you've already said: keep up your volunteering/clinical exposure and really put some effort into your essays (PS and secondaries) because they do matter!
It sounds like you've got the right idea: rock the MCAT and show your passion for medicine through your ECs and the rest of your application.
Best of luck to you!
Thank you very much for replying! I've been really discouraged lately about the whole process, but I will not give up.