Advice for Retaking a Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkleopard4444

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have OCD and need some advice as to whether I should retake a class or not to try to get an A. I got a B+ in GLY 2010 a 3 credit course with no lab during my freshman year. Other than that class, I have gotten an A-/A in all my other courses. I transferred to a different school that was closer to my home after my freshman year and they offer GLY 2010C a 4 credit course with a lab and GLY 2010 with no lab online. Do you think either would be smart to take or not?

I know that I probably shouldn't, but I've been thinking about it too much. Also, I know it probably sounds stupid, a waste of time, and that I should take a higher level class instead. I just need some advice. I'm lacking common sense with this class.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that I probably shouldn't, but I've been thinking about it too much. Also, I know it probably sounds stupid, a waste of time, and that I should take a higher level class instead.
The bolded is entirely true.
My committee would be disturbed to see a re-take of a B+.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it especially coming from a professor/physician.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

have you ever seen someone retake an "A-"? I know someone who retook orgo 2 after an "A-" and earned an "A".

What are your thoughts on that?

have you ever seen someone retake an "A-"? I know someone who retook orgo 2 after an "A-" and earned an "A".

What are your thoughts on that?
If a screener saw a retake of an A- (in a class taken within a decade). That would be the end of the process.
In reality, though, that degree of granularity doesn't kick in until later in the process. Even if there were no other evidence of perfectionism, the committee would catch it before a decision was rendered.

Reactions: 1 users
If a screener saw a retake of an A- (in a class taken within a decade). That would be the end of the process.
In reality, though, that degree of granularity doesn't kick in until later in the process. Even if there were no other evidence of perfectionism, the committee would catch it before a decision was rendered.

Ya it surprised me that he did this. He did end up getting accepted, but still thought it was an abnormality.

"If a screener saw a retake of an A- (in a class taken within a decade)"

Gyngyn, I was wondering why would it be fine if someone retook a B+ or A- after a decade? Are you saying this because after a decade of taking your courses they won't be accepted toward medical school?

Gyngyn, I was wondering why would it be fine if someone retook a B+ or A- after a decade? Are you saying this because after a decade of taking your courses they won't be accepted toward medical school?
A nontraditional student whose undergrad career ended more than a decade ago might reasonably retake a few classes without raising any eyebrows.

Reactions: 1 users
I have OCD and need some advice as to whether I should retake a class or not to try to get an A. I got a B+ in GLY 2010 a 3 credit course with no lab during my freshman year. Other than that class, I have gotten an A-/A in all my other courses. I transferred to a different school that was closer to my home after my freshman year and they offer GLY 2010C a 4 credit course with a lab and GLY 2010 with no lab online. Do you think either would be smart to take or not?

I know that I probably shouldn't, but I've been thinking about it too much. Also, I know it probably sounds stupid, a waste of time, and that I should take a higher level class instead. I just need some advice. I'm lacking common sense with this class.

Can't sugar coat it...all of the bold apply.

If you indeed have OCD, see a therapist now, because medical school has a bad habit of exacerbating pre-existing mental health conditions. Basically, if you're going to try to learn and ace everything, you'll end up learning nothing.