Advice for Senior trying to get on track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MagnetoWins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum. I came here hoping to get some advice as how to go forward.

So I'm at a point in my life where I'm a Senior in college who has been through so much hell (some my fault, some out of my control) and ended up switching from major to major due to lack of interest. Now I'm in Economics with a not so good gpa (2.3) and intending on turning that around this year. I know pharmacy school is out of the question as of right now so that I dont need anyone telling me. While I was separated from school one year, I took a pharm tech certification training class and got my license to be a tech but was never able to use it (lack of experience and school schedule). However, during that time, I really saw myself being in that field. I'm someone who likes to think logically, love math, can tolerate science, and I like to use my leadership, mentorship, and teamwork skills. The only thing I'm missing is direction since my school thats costing me so much money doesnt have a pharmacy program and no one there is willing to help me get where I want.

Here is my plan for post grad:
Finish my econ degree, just to get it out of the way and accept whatever gpa I get
Take a year or two to do the required classes (starting with gen chem again and moving into biology), which hopefully will raise my gpa
Studying for the PCAT, which doesnt look that difficult but I could be wrong
Work at a hospital as a pharm. tech since I got a connection for post grad

I'm just wondering what anyone else in my situation would do and if this is the right thing to be doing. I'm just really tired of being denied something that could be my true passion just because of my past and my spotty academic record and I just want to turn it around so I can have some piece of mind. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my plan for post grad:
Finish my econ degree, just to get it out of the way and accept whatever gpa I get
Take a year or two to do the required classes (starting with gen chem again and moving into biology), which hopefully will raise my gpa
Studying for the PCAT, which doesnt look that difficult but I could be wrong
Work at a hospital as a pharm. tech since I got a connection for post grad

Hey man, if you truly have a passion for pharmacy, you will eventually get in. That said, it will take a lot of dedication and hard work. Don't underestimate the PCAT and start getting straight A's. One year of straight A's might not help your overall gpa much but it will demonstrate an upward trend which most schools like.:thumbup:

Seems like you already have a plan. Now you just need to stick to it. It may be difficult, but if you push yourself you can get it done. Also make sure you hold off on the PCAT until you get most of your basic science done. Maybe go ahead and get a study book, so that you know what materials to be sure to understand well. Otherwise you look like you are getting stuff together.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like you already have a plan. Now you just need to stick to it. It may be difficult, but if you push yourself you can get it done. Also make sure you hold off on the PCAT until you get most of your basic science done. Maybe go ahead and get a study book, so that you know what materials to be sure to understand well. Otherwise you look like you are getting stuff together.

Good Luck

Thats why I was going to wait a couple years to take the PCAT. I was looking through a book and it just seemed like stuff I already knew or could easily learn in a class. But I could be very wrong. I'm sure I'll get it though.

With that said, I live in Ohio and was wondering where I should look to apply to pharmacy school when the time comes. My plan was to finish up at my school and take the pre reqs at OSU (restarting gen chem) and going on from there. Any thoughts?

I was in your situation, and Ive tried really hard to get back on track. My only advice for you is continuing improving your grades at the school where you will be receiving your degrees, and take all the prereqs there as well. If i would to do all over again, this is what i will do.

I was in your situation, and Ive tried really hard to get back on track. My only advice for you is continuing improving your grades at the school where you will be receiving your degrees, and take all the prereqs there as well. If i would to do all over again, this is what i will do.

Thank you. I would finish them at my current school but since I only have a year left and not too much wiggle room for extra classes, that is going to be very difficult