Advice for setting up 4th yr rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soccergrl18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a 3rd yr medical student. I really want Urology for residency and I even know what state where I really want to end up. Does anyone have any advice for setting up 4th yr rotations?

Here's what I was thinking (but I have no clue how all this works so PLEASE if any one has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!): I've made a list of my top 5 programs that I want. I was thinking starting my first rotation of 4th year (Aug-Sept) in Urology at a program I like, but is not my top choice 1 choice so I can gain experience for rotating at my top choices. Then my 2nd and 3rd (Sept, Oct) rotations would also be in Urology, but at my top 2 places. Then I would do my 4th (Nov) and 5th (Dec) rotation at the other top programs on my list, but in other fields besides Urology (I can't just do Urology all of 4th year!). The Urology Match is in Jan, so by then I would have rotated at my top 5 choices. Is this unrealistic? Do I need to schedule time off at some point for my interviews?
Then the rest of 4th year would be finishing other requirements and such.

Also I was planning on taking step 2 in July (I have psych and then a community health rotation before July which should be a light schedule and allow me to study).

And last question....Does anyone know if I would be allowed to apply for the regular match in a different field as back up if I dont match in Urology?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

That actually seems like a pretty smart strategy. Taking Step 2 early is a slight plus (if you do well), and not having your first Urology rotation at a top choice school is also smart. Some people will say you are doing too much Urology and that you should branch out, but if you know what you want to do, you might as well A) make sure that's what you want by doing a few rotations in it, and B) maximize your shot at your top places by doing audition rotations there. Sounds like you've thought it through pretty well. As far as the early match, you will still be able to participate in the regular match (I'm assuming for general surgery or something); it will just be a little more of a pain in the neck for you doing two overlapping processes at once. I know of a few people doing just that this year. Good luck to you!

thank you for posting a response! I guess I just needed someone to tell me I wasn't being naiive or crazy!