Advice for some rotations/concise step 2 q bank for NBME shelfs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am currently on my first peds icu rotation as a 3rd year. I am a DO student and decided to only take COMLEX level 1 as I did not feel good about my uworld performance and did not even finish uworld.

I think a big part of this was the sheer amount of time I spent, no matter how much I tried not to, to analyze each question. I think this has to do with the sheer thought necessary to answer the uworld questions. they are great questions, but require a lot of thought and time to process, which i did not have time to do all the time (46 questions would take me roughly 4-5 hours to review), as i got a lot of questiosn right for some completely absurd reason at times.

in any event, another thing that culminated in my decision to not take usmle 1 was my inability to memorize some of the stuff in first aid, my brain either got tired of it or i just could not memorize some weird biochem enzymes or immuno concept as i was more into understanidng the pathophysiology of things we learned in class. the comlex was much simpler though and it mainly tested, in my opinion, important pathology and pharm, i guess i had a good test?

i was just wondering that for the nbme shelf exams, in addition to case files/pre test questions, is it truly necessary to do a uworld question bank or can one do something like usmle rx? or even kaplan that is more concise for level 2.

what appealed to me about usmle rx is that it seems to be something that tries to grain in the important stuff in first aid. i don't know if it is true for step 2 either. i think i just need something concise i can do on the phone whenever my attending gives me a lunch break just to help reinforce the important details. lol, i honestly no matter how hard i tried, always seem to mess up the immunodeficiencies and vasculitis pathologies in first aid. i suppose i could do flashcards too but i want something that is quick and will help me retain the main details for now.

thanks, and i know that this is a bit of a vague post, but i would appreciate any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

UWorld Qbank is the holy grail for USMLE Step 2 CK. I used it in every single rotation as well during the year for the shelves. Some sections were less indepth than necessary for the shelf, but still a good foundation.

The shelf exam questions are very similar in complexity and depth of understanding to Step 1 questions (although there is a focus away from the histology to some extent of disease, although it may be an important clue in a vignette).