USMLE Advice for someone taking Step 1 after rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drashes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is on a weird schedule where we do 1.5 years of basic sciences, followed by a year of rotations, and step 1 at sometime during spring of MS3. My test is scheduled for April, and I have 7 weeks to study for it from the end of my next rotation. My schedule has been really busy, so it's doubtful I'll be able to study much before that period. I did have my medicine shelf in December and afterwards took an NBME and scored around 205. Hoping to get that up to the 230-240 range by the real thing, but I don't know if that's being overly optimistic.

The issue I'm having is putting together a good study plan. I'm probably way weaker in the basic sciences than the average test taker, but better on some of the pathology. I was especially bad with immunology, biochem, and embryology when I took that practice. Is it worth spending more time on something like UsmleRx or DIT to fill those holes? Any other resource recommendations?

I tried searching but it seems like all the advice is really old or focused on whether these curriculum changes are good/bad. Just thought I'd ask in case someone has experience with this or has any ideas. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go heavy on questions, whatever bank you prefer in addition to UWorld. It will test your application of the material you know.

I am finishing my 3rd year as well but took step 1 before rotations. I think your approach should be similar to anyone else's. Your basic sciences may need a bit more rehashing but upon starting to study everyone starts from page 1. Having done shelf exams / possibly step 2 q bank? will only help you with those common bits of knowledge that step 1 review books miss. A lot of the questions on my step 1 that I didn't know seemed to be common things that were just overlooked by first aid and not mentioned in UW. Felt as if the test makers picked all the details not in FA / UW and asked them. Studying for my shelf exams sometimes I am like... man if only I had this during step 1 or why on earth isn't this in FA. A lot of these topics are on shelf exams and covered in the step 2 UW Q bank.

That being said I think you need to make a 7 week study plan and pick the resources you are going to use. In 7 weeks it is hard to do more Q's than the UW question bank considering you should do it 2x. Use FA and go through it and you will see where you need to invest more time. Take practice tests as you study to identify your weaknesses. All the basics you need is really in FA.