Advice for sophomore in college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dani15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore at a large public university with a 3.6 overall gpa and a 3.33 science gpa. My first semester at school was rocky and I earned mainly B's but since then I have been on the dean's list. I have taken general chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, as well as two history of science classes and psychology classes. I am also in the top choir at my school which takes up a lot of my time, but I love it.

When I am home, I volunteer at a children's museum and at a nursing home. I also spent a summer as a PCA for a boy with autism.

This summer I am taking history, literature, and culture classes in Europe but I also plan on doing some shadowing and more volunteering. In the fall I plan on getting a job in laboratory so I can gain experience researching.

After I finish my undergrad, I would like to go to med-school to become a family physician or a pediatrician.

I was just wondering if anyone who has gone through this process before has any advice on what I could work on? Are there any medical schools that would be a good fit for me? Also, I do not personally know any doctors and if anyone has any advice on how I can find someone to shadow, that would be great!

Thank you for helping me out!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if anyone who has gone through this process before has any advice on what I could work on?
Above all else, raising your science GPA must be your first priority for the next couple years (shoot for a 3.5+ to be in the 'competitive' range). ECs come afterward.

Are there any medical schools that would be a good fit for me?
It's far too soon to speculate based on two years' worth of grades. As again when you are ready to apply (all pre-reqs finished, MCAT in hand, etc).

Also, I do not personally know any doctors and if anyone has any advice on how I can find someone to shadow, that would be great!
The way I approached doctors was through my volunteer gig. When I was face-to-face with them during one of my shifts I would arrange a time to shadow them. Another popular method is 'cold-calling', which is simply google-ing some doctors in your area and either stopping by their office or calling (sloppy, but gets the job done).