Advice for Step 2: timing and USMLE/COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjsteller

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I never post on sdn, but I am in need of some advice, so I hope someone can give me their opinion. Let me start by saying that I still don't know what I want to go into, but it's somewhere between general surgery, ob/gyn, urology, or internal med as a back up.

My step I scores are not exceedingly impressive. COMLEX was a little above average and USMLE was below average. Currently I'm scheduled to take the COMLEX 2 in August, before applications/interviews. Does that seem like a good time to take it? Also, I don't know if I should take the USMLE Step II because a) I don't know what I want I want to go into, b) I don't know how competitive these programs might be (besides urology, I know that's competitive) and c) I'm worried that I won't do well again. I'm leaning towards allopathic programs but that's not 100% necessary as long as the program is good.

As you can see, I'm very lost and confused and hopefully someone can give me some advice on the matter...maybe. If not, I might resort to flipping a coin :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.