Advice for studying through DEPRESSION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpless99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently pretty badly depressed (plus horrible anxiety) and I am having a nightmare of a time trying to study. Some days I just I sleep all day and lay around feeling like life is over and I have no motivation for anything.

My concern with going on medications are:

1) Will a history of depression and anxiety effect my chances at residency
2) Will being on such medications effect my brain chemistry to a point where studying/memory/cognition will be effected and negatively impact my studying.

Does anyone have any experience with studying for such a big exam while dealing with crippling anxiety and moderate depression?
I'm good some days and other days I want the world to end so I don't have to deal with this all. Some non-prescription stuff seems to be helping settle me down on my rough days. I haven't been able to study at all though.

Members don't see this ad.

Tell your school, get a medical leave of absence to get your mental health under control, then return to classes once you get your meds and psych situation figured out.

Hey guys, I'm currently pretty badly depressed (plus horrible anxiety) and I am having a nightmare of a time trying to study. Some days I just I sleep all day and lay around feeling like life is over and I have no motivation for anything.

My concern with going on medications are:

1) Will a history of depression and anxiety effect my chances at residency
2) Will being on such medications effect my brain chemistry to a point where studying/memory/cognition will be effected and negatively impact my studying.

Does anyone have any experience with studying for such a big exam while dealing with crippling anxiety and moderate depression?
I'm good some days and other days I want the world to end so I don't have to deal with this all. Some non-prescription stuff seems to be helping settle me down on my rough days. I haven't been able to study at all though.
Agree you need to get your medical condition under control. A friend of mine just had the same issue and took a leave 4 months from graduation. He will try to return next semester

Thanks for the input guys/gals.

I'm getting stressed out about depression and a leave of absence becoming an issue come residency time and it's starting to make me even more stressed and depressed.

Thanks for the input guys/gals.

I'm getting stressed out about depression and a leave of absence becoming an issue come residency time and it's starting to make me even more stressed and depressed.
Failing classes is worse than a leave of absence. Those are your two options with uncontrolled depression and anxiety.